[SOLVED] Potential Issues Replacing a Screen on a MacBook Air M1 2020

Appletax

Reaction score
Will I run into any complications using a 3rd party screen such as True Tone and automatic brightness not working? I know this was an issue in the past, but maybe Apple changed things.

I'm assuming I'd have 0 issues with Apple's own part that costs 2x as much.

Interested in this display:

661-16806 13.3" LCD Display Assembly for MacBook Air Retina A2337 M1 2020 Silver

Edit: Apple support says:

"There very well could be loss of features if you replace the screen yourself and if you use a third party display as well. It is recommended that if your Mac screen needs serviced, you take it to either an Apple Store, an Apple Authorized Service Provider or we can set up a mail in repair on it for you."

"That is certainly one of your option to DIY. It turns out that you are correct, you might lost one of the feature if the replacement wasn't done properly."

This option = $$$$$. Apple themselves to replace the screen costs $487.63. Best Buy = $430.00.

Last edited:
An eBay seller that sells a screen for this laptop said:

The A2337 does not have True Tone. Apple officially restricted the True Tone on the A2337. You can only take your laptop to a local after-sales point to solve the True Tone problem. This is the same for all other sellers.

The webcam will work, and you don't need to use Self Configuration Tool from Apple after installing. Please feel free contact us if any questions on the new screen.

Second response:

Sorry, we have no idea if the $400 Apple OEM display that they sell for the MacBook Air M1 2020 will have TrueTone.

Yes, we think it has Apple themselves or an Apple Certified Tech Shop replace the screen to keep TrueTone.

Yes, it will cost most to mail it into Apple and let them repair it.

Last edited:
Back