2020 macbook air screen replaced/camera not working

pcservices

Reaction score
Had a customer drop off his daughters 2020 macbook air for a screen replacement. Replaced the screen, everything is working except for the camera. Under system info, camera shows not detected. Since the camera is built into the screen, we got another screen in case the 1st screen was bad. Ran into the same issue with the second screen. At one point under the system info, the camera did show a model ID but then that went away and there is no camera detected. We then reconnected the original broken screen and no camera is detected on this either. We ran updates for the OS, checked permissions, checked various programs on the mac that she had and no camera is coming up. Took the logic board out, cable is secured tight on the board and board looks fine. We reconnected everything but still no camera.
Of course the customer is insisting the camera was working before it came in, he saw his daughter using it, and unfortunately the tech did not check the camera before it was worked on. Is there anything else we are missing that we can check? We are going to talk to the customer about doing a backup reload to rule out software issues.

if the display is a non apple part that is probably the issue, if I'm not mistaken after the T2 Chip came out some components need to be paired with the logic board, and that is only possible with specific apple software (at least to my knowledge), the connections to the backlight and camera are on the board/flex that is attached to the display so the only option I see here is to try with another edp flex cable to see if that fixes it, if not only with a original apple display on a AASP will solve it

if the display is a non apple part that is probably the issue, if I'm not mistaken after the T2 Chip came out some components need to be paired with the logic board, and that is only possible with specific apple software (at least to my knowledge), the connections to the backlight and camera are on the board/flex that is attached to the display so the only option I see here is to try with another edp flex cable to see if that fixes it, if not only with a original apple display on a AASP will solve it
The replacement screen is from a 3rd party. However when we put the original screen back on to test, the camera still didn't work. Shouldn't that rule out the pairing that you mentioned? Each of the screens we tried came with its own board. Took out the logic board to double check the display cable as well and it was secure to the board. I'm going to look into the pairing that you are talking about to see for future repairs in case that becomes an issue.

The replacement screen is from a 3rd party. However when we put the original screen back on to test, the camera still didn't work. Shouldn't that rule out the pairing that you mentioned? Each of the screens we tried came with its own board. Took out the logic board to double check the display cable as well and it was secure to the board. I'm going to look into the pairing that you are talking about to see for future repairs in case that becomes an issue.

with the old display it should be working... if it doesn't then perhaps its an issue with the logic board, or the use of the 3rd party one messed something up?

Back