ADPCM...not working?

gdewald

Reaction score
I installed a game, but once I opened it, it gave me a message that "ADPCM" :confused: is not working and there will be no sound. I browsed a little, but didn't find any sufficient info on how to make it work:( .Could you tell me what ADPCM is, and how to get rid of this problem? I am running Win XP SP2.
-thanks-

Well, ADPCM stands for "Adaptive Differential Pulse Code Modulation" and it is a codec for sounds (generally .wav files) on your computer.

Its possible you dont have a playback device selected. To test this, goto
Start > Search and search for *.wav

Then try opening a few, if you still got the same error then you dont have a playback device selected.

To set a playback device goto Start > Control Panel and double click Sounds and Audio Devices

In the Playback box, click the playback device that you want to use in the Preferred Device list, and then move the Volume slider to the value you want.

If this doesnt work, let us know what game you installed, what type of soundcard you have and the error message exactly as it appears word for word.

I don't think the problem is in the sound itself.This only happens in some games that use the *whatever you said*. They use this only in voice files, as the error said, and when the games play, all the sound except the ones that use the ADPCM work.:confused: :confused: :confused:

also, I'll post the error message in a few minutes

Last edited:
"There will be no voice or sound effects because the system does not support ADPCM files.Do you wish to continue?(CODE = 0:0)"
That's what it said, I defenitely know windows has a built-in ADPCM driver.:confused: :eek: :mad:

Ok, this seems to be a problem with XP SP2, it installs two updated ADPCM codecs called "imaadp32.acm and msadp32.acm) which are located in c:\windows\system32 and are marked as versions 5.1.xxxx. You can see what versions files are by right clicking them, goto the Properties and choose the Version tab.

Backup these codecs (just renamed them to something) and replace them with versions 5.0.xxxx which are from Windows 2000. You will have to search around on the net for these or you could search for the default codecs on an old Windows XP disk (providing it is pre SP2). Anyway, dont try any version prior to 5.0.xxxx.

Back