Facebook auth. codes not working

autumn

Reaction score
My previous post about Hotmail is sort of related here.

Clients Hotmail account was gained access to, and from what I can see is they deleted MFA codes as they came into the inbox. Now they don't have access and the codes are coming in to the mailbox the client is saying the codes aren't working. As in they get the code they enter it in to FB and FB says it's not the right code. I know they have been in contact with FB support however the client was wondering if there would be a known reason why this is happening now?

The attacker has disabled the clients MFA and redirected and enabled to the attacker's email. This is a lost cause unfortunately, and Facebook support are useless. I would advise to check any other accounts as well such as Google account, all other SM Accounts, Ebay and all other financial accounts. Change passwords on all accounts and setup MFA on any other site that allows it to strengthen security.

The attacker has disabled the clients MFA and redirected and enabled to the attacker's email. This is a lost cause unfortunately, and Facebook support are useless. I would advise to check any other accounts as well such as Google account, all other SM Accounts, Ebay and all other financial accounts. Change passwords on all accounts and setup MFA on any other site that allows it to strengthen security.
Yep this looked to be the case and the client has got it back to them now and are getting the MFA codes but then FB says it's not the right code.

yes I have advised them to reset all their passwords as originally the client (flight attendant/with side business) was "just flighting out as they messaged me" so I wasn't sure where they were attacking from. And you know, if they had the google account and their passwords saved then all passwords are at risk. Since the original notification I have been able to access their computer and find out it was only the Hotmail account that the attackers had access to and then FB because that was linking to it.

It depends have the person in question ever accessed Ebay via Facebook logon, as they maybe linked.

If they have the MS Account logon I am sure they will be ferreting around for others. It is just basic security measures one gate open, leads to others.

In Ebay>Account Settings>Personal Info>Social Media.

Back