Windows Vista will not update

PROPATECH

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having a nightmare of a time with a clients Asus Pro50G laptop running Vista HP service pack 1.

The PC was presented to me with a couple of problems. The first was IE 7 was re-directing to unwanted sites. I managed to easily remove the Win32/Alureon rootkit that was causing the problem with Kaspersky TDSSKILLER. The other problem was that Vista would not update. I click on 'check for updates' and it tells me that I need to install an update for Windows update. I then click 'install now' and it returns an error code 80070005 and sometimes 80070057. No updates have been installed since 2009.

I have tried numerous things and have researched extensively online to no avail. So far I have tried;

-Manually installing version 7.4.7600.226 of the Windows Update Agent (which is the update that keeps failing)
-reset the Windows Update components
-Installed System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (KB947821)
-Manually install SP2
-Manually install Microsoft update standalone package
and one other that has partially slipped my mind but involved removing and re-instating folders in Windows\system32.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Have you checked to see if a proxy is set, or the host file has been modified? Can you browse the web succesfully?

A quick check of 80070005 seems to indicate an issue with permissions or 3rd party security software.

Have you tried deleting the contents of the Software Distribution folder (including hidden and system files)?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies, no proxy has been set and I can browse the internet without a problem (now that I got rid of the rootkit). I also uninstalled Trend micro that was on the system, thinking that may have something to do with it, with no results. I have also tried emptying the software distribution folder. I don't know which path to take next. Any ideas?

I've had two systems with Vista in recently that would NOT take a manual SP1 or SP2 install - even after all the troubleshooting you've also done, and ensuring pre-requisite updates were installed...

After doing all the other updates that was pushed from Windows update, until Windows Update showed the SP installs... STILL the manual SP installs wouldn't finish...... but doing the SP installs pushed from Windows update succeeded in the end, (where the manual redist versions of the SPs still failed)... strange but true. At first I thought my SP redist downloads might have been corrupted, but I've since used them without issue...

Have you tried deleting the contents of the Software Distribution folder (including hidden and system files)?
That's the solution that works best for me, too. Stop the Windows Update service, rename the SoftwareDistribution folder, create a new one, restart the service then try Windows update again.

Back