[SOLVED] Virused Samsung laptop won’t reinstall Windows

Blue House Computer Help

Reaction score
Here’s a tricky one. I have a customer with a Samsung laptop (NP3530EC) on Windows 8.1. He called me because I have done some other recent work on another computer of his, and he fell for a “Your computer is locked, call ‘Microsoft’ to unlock it on this handy phone number” type scam. He was only on the phone with the guy for a few minutes but the guy had already gotten remote access and was asking him to go to Amazon to verify his credit card details before he smelled a rat.

So he gave me this laptop, which was virused up to the eyeballs, (one of the worst I’ve seen). So we decided to back up the data with good old FABs, scan the back up with eset AV booted from a CD, nuke and pave, and restore said data.

Unfortunately, when I try and install Windows 10 or even Windows 8.1 again, it gets just past the “install now“ button and says there is a driver missing that I need to supply before it can continue. (though it doesn’t give any hint which one). Same behaviour when installing on a completely different hard drive.

I tried downloading The chipset drivers for this specific model from Samsung‘s website, and browsing to the unzipped folder, and to several subfolders, but it just can’t find the driver it’s looking for.

So, two questions.

1. Is my planned order of operations sufficient to keep the virus from spreading to the new installation?

2. Any ideas about what else to do about this unspecified driver, because I can’t get any further along.

3. He does have an intact recovery partition, but I wasn’t sure whether that would format the windows installation or just reset it, or really, if it would be sufficient for virus removal, and I suppose maybe it could be infected itself.

Oh and 4. Considering how nasty this virus was in a lot of other ways is it possible that it could have infected the BIOS somehow. And how would I detect and fix that?

Oh Sorry… that’s four questions.

The other complication is that he is really really not able to afford a replacement laptop.

Thoughts?

Yep, that's got to be one of the custom stupid units that was designed to be installed via images instead of standard processes.

So you're after the SATA controller driver typically so the installer can find the drive to install. And don't waste your time even attempting Windows 8.1's install, that's just asking for more work. Use Windows 10.

Is this where you got the chipset driver?

Also, interesting enough, when I searched for specs for that model several sources say that it has Intel VT-x but does not have Intel Rapid Store.

Situations like this I'll usually try a popular Linux distro since they'll usually have an old computer like that ironed out. Link below to a thread about Mint on that model.

This is the answer. It has nothing to do with the virus. Windows just doesn't have the storage driver in order to see the hard drive/SSD. Extract the ZIP file, put it on a flash drive, then hit "load driver" during Windows install and point it towards the flash drive and it will load and you'll be able to see the hard drive/SSD.

This is the point where I'm browsing to the intel folder. But it still cant find the driver it needs...

media-driver-issues.png

Should I add it at some point earlier?

If this lets you continue by clicking Ok then just move ahead. I've had a few situations where there's some unusual multimedia related device that's not in a native w10 install. When you're done you can go to device manager and use the VEN DEV method to identify the offending chipset.

Windows shouldn’t need a chipset driver for a 8-10 year old laptop.
Samsung and Sony love to customize the hardware IDs on system components I swear just to make driver updates and installs harder. This has in the past forced me to manually update INF files with their hardware IDs to use younger Intel drivers in particular.

TLDR on these units is, fresh installs are a pain and system recovery media from the MFG is the only quick way to nuke them.

Back