Unusual problem with WPV

GTP

Reaction score
For the past few days I have been getting a message from Windows Picture Viewer every time I try to open a picture.

"Windows Photo Viewer can't display this picture because there might not be enough memory available on your computer. Close some programs..."

It seems that every picture downloaded or saved after 20th of December gives the message. Anything before that date opens and displays as normal.
It happens on all formats; .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp, .tif, .png etc.

Saved pics also display the encryption lock in the top right corner although the drive does not have Bitlocker (or any other encryption) turned on.
Its easy enough to remove the lock by right clicking an empty area in the folder and hovering on "File Ownership" and selecting "Personal."
Or just "Decrypt" from the R/C context menu. I dont understand why they are being encrypted to start with.

I've googled solutions but none work, changed file attributes, turned off encryption under "Advanced" on the files properties Tab etc.

I've run Chkdsk, SFC reports no errors, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth reports all good.

TIA for any help.

Sounds like you're having permissions issues, to me. The pics having to be changed in File Ownership sounds like permissions. Sounds likely that "Picture Viewer" doesn't have permissions either, is being denied resources, then complains it has no memory.

I haven't used it in a while now, so I'm not familiar with how it's been doing lately in Win 10/11, but you might want to look into running "Tweaking.com's Windows Repair" and see if it helps at all.

It seems that every picture downloaded or saved after 20th of December gives the message. Anything before that date opens and displays as normal.
And what program is being used to do this? It’s possible that it’s running under another user and creating files under that permission slate instead of yours. Need to look at folder permission of the locked out files and see who’s permissions are/aren’t being applied. Same for the folders they are being stored in.

Reactions: GTP
And what program is being used to do this?
I'm just using Windows Photo Viewer.

Thanks for the responses.
I've checked permissions and all seems to be in order. I'm certain its not running under another user account.
It seems that now some pictures are opening normally and some still aren't. It's completely random.
I'll look into the permissions again just to be sure I'm not missing something.

As I said above I've already run DISM, SFC and chkdsk.
The problem still exists but now with a different attitude.

I'll try the repair install.
Thanks

I'll try the repair install.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to repeat what you'd already stated you'd done as though you had not reported having done it. This is sort of a "canned list" where, if step one has already been done, it's on to step 2.

Please let us know the outcome.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to repeat what you'd already stated you'd done as though you had not reported having done it. This is sort of a "canned list" where, if step one has already been done, it's on to step 2.

Please let us know the outcome.
Thanks @britechguy it was very helpful information as all of the replies are.
I'll report what happens. :)

Tried open with>another viewer to test, even the proprietary one with Win10.

You do have ownership yea?
Have you tried running the Take Ownership script on the drive wherever the images are located?
Pics open as expected with any other picture viewer including Paint, Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, the built in Win 10 photo app etc.
Its only WPV that has the issue.
All the pics open fine on any other PC.

Yes I have manually set file ownership permissions and run the "Take Ownership" script.

The problem persists, however.

Must be a registry corruption then - download this and see if it fixes the issue.

WPV
Thanks. :)
I already have this script (or one very similar) because it's what I use to restore Windows "Photo" App on client systems.

My issue is with the Windows 7 style "Windows Photo Viewer" so this script doesn't work.

Last edited:
Windows Photo Viewer is deprecated and no longer supported and doesn’t properly handle ICC profiles. Time to move on as the program is broken and isn’t gonna get fixed.

Back