All techs with d7II will receive d7x update...

FoolishTech

FoolishIT Founder
Vendor
Reaction score
A few techs in another thread wanted some information on the upcoming d7x update to d7II (for various reasons) and I am happy to oblige, but to be honest the context of the thread's original subject wasn't how I wanted to kick off an announcement.

Also, I hope the post is within forum boundaries - I haven't received word in a bit on whether or not this would be ok, but I honestly don't see any issue and there are plenty of similar things being discussed, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

I don't expect to recreate the original "New Tech Tool: D7" thread ;) but beyond a licensing/upgrade clarification, it would be nice to explain a few features and concepts, and get some technician feedback on how things are developing.

A tech in another thread asked what (about d7x) would make him click the button to renew or reactivate his d7II subscription. I can only answer that with the same question: What (about d7x) would make you want to click the button? The point being: tell us!!

Now let's clarify what we're talking about: d7x is...

d7x is more of a change from d7II than it was from the original d7, truly a new app written from the ground up including backend AND interface.

...but first, here's the d7x update/licensing details for current subscribers to d7II:

You get it, don't worry about it. Consider it just a name change as far as your subscription is concerned, (a monthly or annual statement may reflect "d7II" although the software will soon reflect "d7x") It is an update included with every subscription and remains bound by the original d7II purchase terms.

You can contact us for more details on your subscription if necessary, or if purchased prior to May 2015 and subscribed through Paypal, we've written a guide here on managing your subscription through their website.

The d7 focus:

It doesn't seem widely known that "D7" wasn't originally about automating 3rd party apps as much as the internal automation of various known malware removals (often static-but-frequently-updated,) MSKB fixes, Windows repairs, and tweaks. Many of these occurred silently and automatically just by starting the main executable, some even split off into their own free mini apps (e.g. KillZA.)

It was also also greatly focused on the once-internal MalwareScan aka dFunk, with aggregation of file system and registry infection points (simultaneously across all user accounts) into a single interface, even on 'offline' Windows installations (from a WinPE bootable or 'Tech Bench Computer' with a customer's hard drive attached.)

While d7 and d7II became so much more, in our opinion the rest isn't the best value the tool has to offer in concept or even current reality...

The d7 concept:

Mainly d7 was designed to make a tech's job easier and even more interesting (reducing/removing the redundant and mundane,) and also more productive (enabling more work simultaneously,) while maintaining a consistent and quality output (not confusing results, repeating steps, or forgetting them entirely on one or more systems.) These concepts should hold true for single techs working on multiple systems at once, as well as entire departments of techs and teams working under a common brand.

Sometimes a desirable result does mean "automation" and this is especially true when it's going to run overnight anyway, or let's be real for some of you who know what I'm talking about -- the smoke break...

While we agree that automation is great, productivity is often the driving force behind the buzz, and we believe that means working smarter and leveraging a little experience and planning. Our approach is methodical but precise, and often far more valuable than brute force automation tactics that we see commonly used in d7/d7II and also provided in some manner even by free tools available today.

The true cost of brute force automation methods may not be the chance of an incomplete (or worse, botched) result. We think if nothing else that cost is time, and it may not mean much to some depending on your setup, but ultimately for most we see (time=money) as an eventual if not immediate reality. It may not be the technician's personal time, but it will be the time that repair is taking from the technician's "space" (bench spot, remote license, or other limited capacity resource) which reduces capabilities and output. It can also introduce maybe too much 'free time' during a repair and work day, and that's fine and dandy if you need the time to research, learn, or otherwise improve elsewhere, otherwise it is a waste.

The d7x focus:

That being said, the primary focus of d7x will be on the internal tool set and not so much the 3rd party apps. We hope to improve both manual and automated usage of our internal tools and all of their abilities. Manual inspection of aggregated system information, Windows events and errors, installed programs, running processes, file system objects, and registry data will be enhanced by bringing all of the important data into fewer more visible interfaces, providing instant access to easily understandable features that cut the workload significantly.

A redesign of the app from the ground up also brings the ability to easily and simultaneously apply enhancements across all areas, and further integrate multiple areas, of d7x and its internal feature set. As a result it should become far more common to see a features like automatically determining recommended actions (and subsequently reconfiguring the already fewer action buttons in the interface) based on the various information detected and some logic rules where applicable and possible.

The main attempt at an improved UI probably won't ever be 'flair' but currently I'm hoping to finally strike the right balance between simplicity/ease of use without sacrificing the power of a lot of flexibility/configurability in behavior and functionality.

A focus will also be on communicating to the technician what once-obscure names are throughout d7 and d7II that identify various internal features and repairs, and to remove the learning curve found with first time d7II use.

Now on to a few specifics and current design flow:

In the interest of clarity, the heading is the theme or title of a separate window within d7x, followed by each 'tab' of divided functionality / separated / by / a / forward slash.

System Info

This Session / System Info / Event Viewer / File & Registry Scan History and Quarantine / d7x & 3rd Party App Logs
  • This Session tab to contain both 'Start Session' and 'End Session' configuration/actions for client information, startup preferences, and what to do when you're finished with a repair (for reports, etc.)
  • System info will have the same focus of aggregating details and potential problems in one place, but is yet undesigned.
  • d7II's internal event viewer is powerful but under-utilized, and needs to be out in the open and potentially have some specific scans for issues automated.
  • File/Registry Scan History will detail saved information on objects from automated internal functions and your manual inspections of files through various d7x interfaces. Not only will details on the file/registry setting be logged (whether or not you deleted the file,) but quarantine/restore functionality will be available when enabled and some options will flag these objects for automatic checks during the 'end session' actions when you are wrapping up the repair, to ensure things stay deleted, uninfected, etc..
  • The logs are just that - d7x will continue the log system to keep track of what it does (and what you do with it) including of course customizable text for various behaviors and configurations.
The goal here is to have an interface to optionally reference throughout the repair for information updates and also to come back to in the end to quickly re-examine what was done. More on this later.

Report Center

Though it may be integrated as a tab in System Info, generating reports in it's own floating window gives you the advantage of more information presented at once for easier drag and drop of objects from the System Info window. We'll also be adopting more template capabilities for your own HTML report designs.

One thought on this design is dragging a file result from the history window for an object you looked at earlier, having fields on the report auto-populate with the specifics on the file and your own specific notes recorded earlier.

The KillEmAll window (the meat)

Kill Programs / Allowed Programs / Prevent Programs / Uninstall Programs / File Search (Advanced) / Registry Search (Advanced)
  • Kill Programs tab to include an optional Report Only mode, a Manual Approve (Each Kill Attempt) mode, and will display Terminated Results only.
  • Allowed Programs tab appears only after Kill Programs, for skipped/whitelisted processes
  • Prevent Programs = processing with results of prevented programs, utilizing both IFEO Modifier and CryptoPrevent style Software Restriction Policies.
  • Uninstall Programs = dUninstaller style program uninstall functionality
  • File and Registry scans to contain both Custom/User Defined and Predefined dFunk/MalwareScan search items, with some interesting new stuff planned that really excites me.
Definitions will be somewhat universal here across functionality with malware hash scanning of all referenced items (and custom scans) with updatable definitions from sanesecurity.com, in addition to your user defined blacklists, automatically stopping targets and logging the result not just with running processes but uninstalling applications, preventing applications from running, removing files and registry threats and fixing issues, quarantining files and settings where applicable, and finally detailing what was done.

Also optional (and massive) whitelists provided and maintained by our team will enhance your own created whitelists, removing known good or neutral items from view to simplify a quick inspection of whatever is left over, which by the way is a great way to find unknown infections for techs with the ability to 'feel out' the bad stuff based on the circumstances and characteristics of what they are looking at, or at least those utilizing the quick research tools that are built-in to d7x interfaces.

We even have a few ideas for new definitions types and implementations based on criteria that you haven't really seen before!

The File Inspection window:

Here and there in d7, d7II, dFunk, MalwareScan, KillEmAll, the installed right-click context menu for Windows Explorer, and other related interfaces, there are always a bit of options for working quickly and efficiently with individual files, providing research and delete functionality among quite a few other options, depending on the type of item being examined.

Now there is a common interface shared by all apps that allow examination of a file to aggregate information on that file and allow convenient action, for a consistent experience. In addition to improved functionality, all data collected via this interface is saved to the file/registry history mentioned in the System Info window for later automated re-inspection during end session and to have record and an easy way to add that information to custom reports.

Work Flows & Automation

Setup / <user defined tab for a specific job> / <user defined tab> (optional 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.) / etc.
  • Setup - defines behavior, automation parameters, and tab/queue configurations
  • <user defined tabs for specific job> are Work Flows or queue/job/item lists
    • contains any combination of d7x Internal Functions, Repairs, Tweaks, or Custom (3rd Party) Applications
    • each tab represents a separate auto mode queue, although items can of course be run manually/individually
There are of course enhancements to the known "auto mode" and configurable queues or workflows, which can contain any mix of d7x static or configurable internal functions, your own scripts, or 3rd party app configurations.

There is tons more, but this is getting tiresome for this evening!

Other items on the board are new server-side or share functionality for LAN's and even bringing some new options to your own hosted server setups with webdav and IIS. An administrator/user permissions system for various configurations and actions can assist managed teams, and the new debug system will optionally and automatically submit problem reports to our server for examination; ultimately I'd like to see automated return assistance for recognized issues in some form. Finally in-app RSS updates from specific blog categories (d7x only) will keep you informed about the latest developments and updates.

The release of various d7x functionality will come in phases to d7II subscribers over the next few months and that's a whole new bit we're still discussing, so I'll hold off today.

The only thing we're really hoping for right now is to clear up any confusion for our users here, and then of course fish for the same awesome ideas and feedback that made d7 the unique and valuable tool it was, applying that to the next latest and greatest tech tool.

While I can't say that just anything and everything is feasible for inclusion, at this phase in development I need to know if the direction I am working towards is going where you need it to go (and what you might suggest otherwise.)

We will stay in touch here but you may also submit your questions, usability and feature suggestions, or other issues as always through the ticket system and community forums within our official support portal, or catch us live on the Foolish Tech Show or on the show's IRC anytime you happen to see one of us in there..

Thanks for reading!

AJ, should have known! I do kinda need to code the UI first!! :p

It was late so I didn't really finish. I'll upload a screenshot of the first thing to go here, and here's the explanation and some numbers might help too.

First, d7x is the heart of everything I do. Every app of mine gets inspiration (and more often than not a bit of direct code) from d7x. So because of this, as I build d7x there are other apps that can be refreshed along the way -- and might as well -- d7x is such a large project being a completely new app and code, it would be a while to get it to the point of just doing everything that d7II did. This is why it just makes sense to us to release it in phases, so we can get out the updates to d7II users sooner, even if it is piece by piece..

That being said, the vast majority of code in d7x isn't UI work, as you can imagine if you think about all that it does. Here's the quick stats on the work done so far:

File File Type Code Lines Comment Lines Total Lines
KillEmAll Project 18,049 (84%) 3,423 (15%) 21,472

Notice the project says KillEmAll. This is actually the beginning of d7x (remember releasing it in phases, and the bit in the OP about how KillEmAll window will be the centerpiece of the manual aspects of d7x.)

Now to show you how much of that is actually KillEmAll, and how much is the rest of what d7x is:

Form_KillEmAll (KillEmAll_Status_Form.frm) Form 513 61 574
KillEmAll_Class (KillEmAll_Class.cls) Class Module 618 93 711
Running_Process_Class (Running_Process_Class.cls) Class Module 134 35 169

So the KillEmAll release that hasn't happened yet (but is very close) has a mere 1,265 lines of code written so far, compared to 16,784 for the rest of d7x.

If you really want to break it down, KillEmAll uses these shared resources with d7x so far:

Download_Class (Download_Class.cls) Class Module 390 128 518
File_Inspect_Form (File_Inspect_Form.frm) Form 484 94 578
Foolish_Constants_Module (Foolish_Constants_Module.bas) Module 336 280 616

So of those lines of code (18,049) you can see how many are in a 'form' (the user interface)? 997 including the file inspection form, which is a major component shared by all d7x functions. Not a lot to compare to... These numbers are a even a bit smaller than last time I looked, because despite adding code, I also cut out a lot of 'fat' as now I see better ways to reuse code and structure things than even a month ago.. So big numbers aren't everything, but they help with imagination somewhat...

I'm just trying to illustrate where I am in code -- being that the vast majority of code for d7x is already written (on the backend -- you know the code that actually DOES something, not the code that makes it visible to you...) as well as why I don't really have any UI screenshots!!! The good news is, UI is easy ;) rather it's the underlying code that is the time suck which is mostly done already -- though the difficult part about UI is that, you know, making it flow for everyone...

So as for the 997 lines of code in the UI you can see that so far in the attached -- but like I said the UI improvements aren't about eye candy, rather about making things easier for techs to understand (bad terminology explained) and use (removing a billion options when unnecessary and providing default workflows for new users.) This is also one of those things we'll be actually working with people on a regular basis again to continually improve.

d7x Release Schedule: (not set in stone, but most likely)

* Releases to d7II subscribers will occur in phases as an option, not a requirement (it will not replace the main d7II executable until all functionality is implemented!) Initially a 'release' to a d7II subscriber may not be pushed in automatic updates but rather as an optional separate download (retrieved from the alert that will be in the lower status bar in d7II, assuming you have those enabled...)

• "Kill Programs" + "Uninstall Programs"
    • KillEmAll stand-alone will be released as a free edition with dUninstaller capabilities, intended to replace that app as well.
      • KillEmAll stand-alone may get a paid edition targeted towards CryptoPrevent users, probably the only new feature here I wouldn't be working on towards d7x is automatic scheduling of some stuff (Task Scheduler) which is easy and quick enough to implement a simple UI to manipulate, but this is still up in the air for several reasons related to CryptoPrevent v8 and the main focus here is d7x so...
    • Same is released to d7II subscribers with additional functionality of course not available to free edition, basically full KillEmAll + d7II/dUninstaller functionality.
  • Tech/Scripting Edition: "File and Registry Blacklists, Command Line Scripting, oh my!"
    • KillEmAll for d7II subscribers will receive the old MalwareScan and now dUninstaller capabilities of blacklisting files/registry entries, as well as dUninstaller command line scripting capabilities.
    • The same functionality will be offered as a stand-alone app in the KillEmAll Tech/Scripting Edition which officially replaces dUninstaller stand-alone, entirely. More on that below.
  • "Prevent Programs"
    • KillEmAll for d7II subscribers gets new functionality in the form of IFEO Modifier and Software Restriction Policy functionality.
  • "File and Registry Scans"
    • KillEmAll for d7II subscribers get new & improved MalwareScan/dFunk functionality
    • A bit of time will be spent here on some new features, because these are main focal points of intended usage...
    • new locations to scan
    • new definition criteria
    • addition of user customized scans
    • ability to create d7x internal function objects for either predefined or custom created scans to use as workflow objects for manual one-click usage, auto mode usage, logging/reporting of results of course, and even report only functionality.
      • these internal objects will also receive command line scripting functionality (along with other areas of d7x.)
    • probably the best bit yet, new before/after snapshot objects for file/registry areas, predefined or custom, which can be placed in your workflow and referenced later for creating custom reports and managing custom whitelists/blacklists (pretty sure that this will completely rock *someone's* world as you see the benefits!)
  • "WorkFlows"
    • The last piece of the puzzle required to call it "d7x" will be released to d7II subscribers as "WorkFlows" or similar. This is your "auto mode" and custom queue that you create with your tasks, and what most people probably use d7 and d7II for anyway.
    • Not much to say here, it runs tasks that you double click on, or all in the list back to back as an "auto mode."
      • By tasks I mean not only 3rd party apps but also d7x internal features, which will be expanded greatly as to what you can do (e.g. the snapshot objects mentioned above.)
    • As previously described we will have default configurations (for a change) with one-click setup, but you will be able to customize your own queues of course.
      • Unlike previous versions, you can customize the entire window, and every tab on it!!! This is actually just about finished (not the UI, rather my ability to create UI elements dynamically at run-time, making this functionality possible for you.)
      • Miss the customize/install tab removed from d7II? Make it. Well, it'll be a default I'm sure, lots will... Don't like the name? Change it. Don't like the default at all? Modify it, replace it, or remove it entirely and start with a blank tab.
    • UI concept is that each tab you create is intended for a specific purpose, and the "auto mode" or automated workflow runs only the items on that tab.
      • If you need a "full auto" there will be other options available to chain specific "auto mode" workflows together, effectively the same thing as "full auto" but allowing total customization and omission of select workflows (tabs/auto modes.)
      • The other thing to take away here is the old 3 lists on each tab thing is gone, and only one will be provided (although it will contain more data on each list item, being wider horizontally and more narrow vertically, with clear/visible options occupying the remaining space.)
That's about it for now minus the interfaces for various configurations and the update interface with RSS feed news which will of course make it in there as appropriate. Once d7x is released actually AS d7x, the other things I mentioned briefly will follow (user management and permissions, automated debug submissions, client/server functionality, new deployment features (SFX_mini) and etc. etc.)

Back to dUninstaller and the KillEmAll Tech/Scripting Edition:

If you are a paid license owner of dUninstaller (for the command line scripting features, etc.) then you are probably itching for an update -- this is it! YES, paid dUninstaller licenses WILL activate the paid KillEmAll Tech/Scripting Edition!

You will have all existing functionality available within dUninstaller to date, plus some new capabilities in blacklist/whitelisting for new criteria that we will be checking, (see screenshot) which I'm pretty excited to implement for the possibilities there!

You won't get much else in overlapping functionality that is reserved for d7x of course, and in fact a few things that you WILL get with your dUninstaller license makes you special, because future KillEmAll Tech/Scripting Edition users will either be paying more for these features (which you already have via your dUninstaller license,) or they won't have them at all. This is just yet another example of the benefit of buying with Foolish IT early on - the value of our products only seem to go up... ;) Remember CryptoPrevent White-Label anyone??

The LabTech plugin:

There are some who use dUninstaller with the fine LabTech plugin from Tim @ Squatting Dog Development (still love that name Tim, and the older logo, oh I miss that!)

It's been on my plate to contact Tim, not just for whatever dUninstaller/KillEmAll update needs to be done when the time comes, and because he's just a cool guy, but also because d7x.exe command line scripting and deployment enhancements open up more possibilities to work with Tim in the future. Actually we plan to make it very easy for others to integrate with d7x features, which in many cases should be do-able without a single line of proprietary code towards that end. Just so you are aware we're thinking about it, we do have some integration ideas (and not just with RMM either, though I don't want to elaborate just yet...)

Anyway, guess I need to fire off an email to Tim while I'm thinking about it. Oh yes, the screenshot..

KillEmAll v5 Alpha.png

Back