Need help with a Win 8 problem on Startup

sorcerer

Reaction score
Ok, I admit, I've had my head buried in the sand about Windows 8 for too long. Got it, played with it for a day, hated it and never looked at it again - until now.

It's got to be something and nothing but, due to my reticence in learning about Win 8 it's got me stumped. I'm now feeling stupid and realise that I've got to knuckle down and learn, but that will take a long time and I need help for a family member (not a paying customer) now, so I'm throwing myself at your mercy.

It's a Sony Viao (can't remember the exact model number and he's at work so I can't ask until tomorrow) and when powered up it comes to the lock screen then password screen ok. After entering the Microsoft account password it opens to what I'm assuming is a wallpaper of some sort (see attached picture) with the word 'Start' in top left and the user's account name and picture in top right - and that is as far as it appears to go.

There are no tiles (Metro interface) displayed at all. Using the mouse to put the cursor in the bottom left corner of the screen pops out a 'Start' menu-type-thing but clicking on it does nothing because you're already at the 'Start' screen. Pressing the Windows key doesn't appear to do anything. I can get the Charms bar to display but searching for things like Desktop or Control Panel or whatever doesn't get any results.

I know it must be something and nothing and that I'm floundering because of my own stupidity, but can anyone throw me a bone here please?

EDIT: I forgot to say that this laptop is just one week old and hasn't really been set up the way he likes it yet, and he hasn't had the chance to install any of his programs either. I know that any technician worth his salt will abhor this, and I can't really believe that I'm even thinking the thought, but unless it's something really easy to fix, maybe a factory recovery may be in order as the quickest and easiest solution? How do you do that in Win 8?

Cheers.

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Interesting. Can you still get to the Run box (Windows key + R)? If so then you can still get to useful tools like the control panel or command line. By the looks of it the first thing I would check is the environment variables. Maybe they got booted into a temp profile?

Thanks for your suggestion my friend, I'll have a look tomorrow - he's at work at the moment but I'm just trying to be prepared for when I see him again.

You can also try Win+X which should bring up a shortcut menu with some commonly used programs and settings. See if that does anything.

Thanks very much tek9, will do.

Altster - he doesn't like using the touch screen. He says it's fine for mobile phones but fingermarks are too much of a problem on full-size laptop screens :)

Windows+ I (eye key stupid phone caps)
This brings up contol panel options
Windows+D takes to desktop

I would install classic shell installs start menu gui as in win7. Win 8 is awful in its design, I have had some users whom cant close apps and out of frustration power off the system. I advise them only way is to alt+f4 to force close apps.

Classic shell here
http://www.classicshell.net

Just a quick follow-up for the curious amongst you.

I couldn't even get to the Recovery options to do either a system restore or reset so he took it back to PC World to see what they could do with it, the answer to which, it would seem, was nothing.

Two of their in-store technicians couldn't get any further with it so they swapped it for a brand new laptop there and then, no questions asked. A bit of an unsatisfactory resolution from my point of view as a technician, as I would have liked to have known what was wrong, but my cousin is now a happy chappy again :)

Thanks very much for your suggestions and contributions folks.

Two of their in-store technicians couldn't get any further with it so they swapped it for a brand new laptop there and then, no questions asked. A bit of an unsatisfactory resolution from my point of view as a technician, as I would have liked to have known what was wrong, but my cousin is now a happy chappy again :)

So now it makes you wonder - just how many other computers have been swapped out by these "in-store technicians?"

Back