[SOLVED] Need help with a problem website

Haole Boy

Reaction score
Aloha everyone,

I'm assisting a customer who is fighting with a website provided by the city government. The customer is an architect and the website is for submitting plans and drawings for permits. The software being run by the city is called ProjectDox.

The issue at hand is that when he tries to upload a "drawing", the window that opens to select the file(s) to upload is limited to .gif, .jpeg, .jpg, and .png file types. He's trying to upload a .pdf file. According to the system admins, uploading a pdf is permissible and the admins can do this with no problem, so the issue must be on the customer's machine. Note that if the customer wants to upload a "document", he can upload a pdf with no problem (you have to specify if you're uploading a document or drawing before you get the upload window).

We have tried 3 different machines in addition to my customer's machine, and all of them have the same problem. At this point, I think I've run into the "we can do it, so the problem MUST be on your computer".

Per a friend who speaks "website" better than I do I got the the window where you click 'Browse" to download the files and right-clicked and selected "View Source". Looking at the source, I searched on filetype and found a couple of references...

In Upload.js:

//*********************************************************************
// Sets a filter string that specifies the file types and descriptions to display in the OpenFileDialog.
// This filter string is also used during the drag and drop event for the control in that
// any file excluded using the filter cannot be dropped on the control itself....it will
// silently fail and not display any file in the list and will not display any validation messages.
function SetFileTypeFilter(fileTypeFilter) {
silverlightControl.Content.uploadControl.SetFileTypeFilter(fileTypeFilter);

and in ActiveXUpload.aspx

// Event called when the silverlight plugin is loaded.
function pluginLoaded(sender) {
silverlightControl = sender.getHost();
SetTargetPhysicalFolder('%5c%5cDPPPDJOB%5cPDoxTemp%5c69377%5c9217a413-1cd4-4b53-906e-6ea6c4a513a1');
SetMaxFileCount(300);
SetMaxUploadFileSize(104857600);
SetMaxUploadSize(10737418240);
SetFileTypeFilter('.tif,.bmp,.dwf,.pdf,.dxf,.doc,.xls,.ppt,.jpg,.tiff,.png,.img,.bmp,.avi,.htm,.html,.mov,.wmv,.zip,.docx,.xlsx,.pptx,.PDF,.dwg,.dgn,.000,.3df,.906,.907,.bmp,.cal,.cg4,.cgm,.cit,.cmi,.dcx,.dgn,.dwf,.dwg,.dxf,.edc,.edm,.ftk,.g3,.g4,.gif,.gp4,.hpgl,.igs,.iso,.jpeg,.jpg,.mi,.mil,.mvs,.pcx,.pdf,.pln,.plt,.png,.prt,.rnl,.tif,.tiff,.install,.config,.mp4');
SetMaxFileNameLength(70);

After this I'm out of knowledge. If anyone could provide assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,

Harry Z.

Are they using IE?

From the code you posted

"
function SetFileTypeFilter(fileTypeFilter) {
silverlightControl.Content.uploadControl.SetFileTypeFilter(fileTypeFilter);

and in ActiveXUpload.aspx"

Has never worked for us, but sys admins say it works for them. Sys admins say we must use IE 11 with latest updates.

We have run into similar problems with local and state government websites. I have found using the Compatibility view option to work well.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-fix-site-display-problems-compatibility-view

If that does not work, you can also try setting it up with the IE Enterprise mode. Here is a good explanation from How To Geek.

http://www.howtogeek.com/184634/how-to-enable-and-use-internet-explorer-11s-enterprise-mode/

Thank you for your suggestions. Compatability mode already configured and did not help. Enterprise mode not available on this version of Windows 8.1.

Has never worked for us, but sys admins say it works for them. Sys admins say we must use IE 11 with latest updates.

Are they running this on the same LAN as the server? Or over WAN? I'd also spend some time calling around to other's to see what they are doing. Also, is firewall disabled? Have you removed any anti-malware apps? Have you removed and re-installed JRE? Any blockers running on the browser? Protected mode off?

Are they running this on the same LAN as the server? Or over WAN? I'd also spend some time calling around to other's to see what they are doing. Also, is firewall disabled? Have you removed any anti-malware apps? Have you removed and re-installed JRE? Any blockers running on the browser? Protected mode off?

Thanks for the suggestions. I won't have time to look at them today, and my wife has surgery tomorrow. I'll be back online in about a week.

Thanks for the suggestions. I won't have time to look at them today, and my wife has surgery tomorrow. I'll be back online in about a week.

Hope everything works out for you all. Totally missed the beginning of the code you posted which is JS. So that may very well be at the root of the issue.

Does the client have any Addons installed or toolbars- sometimes these can cause issues with uploading files. Try IE with no addons to see if that helps.

If the website uses Java you could try this- maybe different issue but I have a few clients who have to use a Java based website for one of their suppliers and sometimes run into issues. When i have fixed their issue i removed all prior version of Java and install latest version.

Then go to Java Settings in Control Panel and go to the Security Tab. Add the website your having issues with to the exception field.
Make sure if any popups come to enable java you also ensure there are enabled not disabled.
upload_2016-10-21_11-54-52.png

Also in Addons for Internet Explorer make sure Java is enabled:

upload_2016-10-21_11-56-27.png

Lastly the other thing i do is go into IE and go to Internet Options and select General Tab
  • Select Delete, located under the 'Browsing history' section
  • Uncheck Preserve favorites website data at the top of this window
  • Select the elements you want to clear, but ensure Temporary internet files and Website files are checked
  • Select Delete. Deleting files may take a while if you have a lot of files and history
  • Select Apply, then OK to close the window

Mahalo to all who replied to this thread. The problem was finally traced to the web application (ProjectDox). The application has a restriction on the file names in that you cannot use special characters. Unfortunately, they do not check for, and reject, files with special characters. My client had uploaded a file with an exclamation point in the file name and this somehow messed up his user profile.

Again, mahalo to all who assisted.

Thread has been marked as solved. And the "boss" is recovering nicely. Mahalo!

Great to hear.

On the problem. I've run into that as well. Customer's that think they are being funny, etc and naming files/folders with really long strings with numerous symbols. Backup programs, etc choke on them.

Back