[SOLVED] Thunderbolt Won't Work with USB C or A?

Appletax

Reaction score
Solution: nope.

-----
Got a 1TB Samsung T5 portable SSD. Interested in replacing with portable NVME.

Bonus: I'd have an NVME enclosure to put customers' NVMEs inside to extract their data if their PC is fried.

Interested in pairing the OWC Envoy Express NVME enclosure (Thunderbolt 3) + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus.

Actual speed = 1,553 MB/s. I see that Thunderbolt 3 NVME drives (drive built in) go faster than this.

Read that Thunderbolt 3 real-world max speed is around 22Gbps, which equals 2,750 MB/s. So, this is not making full use of Thunderbolt 3.

"USB 3.1 (USB-C) cables do not work with Thunderbolt 3 devices. A Thunderbolt 3 storage device requires a Thunderbolt 3 cable and a Thunderbolt 3 port on the computer."

To be 100% crystal, I cannot get this to work by:

1) Plugging into USB Type C?

2) Attaching an adapter for USB Type A support?

I absolutely must have Thunderbolt 3 (maybe even 4) for this thing to function?

In that case, I would probably opt for the Plugable USB 3.1 Gen 2 NVME enclosure.

Actual speeds per customer service:

1) USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gb/s) (Type A) = 400-500 MB/s.

2) USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gb/s) = 900-1000 MB/s.

My understanding is that the Sammy NVME won't be able to hit anywhere near its capable speeds in any enclosure on the market. So, the speeds are overkill. What's not overkill, however, is the quality.

Interestingly, Thunderbolt 5 might be 80Gb/s (10,000 MB/s), which is potentially fast enough to fully handle the speeds of a PCIe 4.0 NVME.

Edit:

1,000 MB/s max with a 970 Evo Plus is pretty sad. I can get 2,000 MB/s with a SanDisk Extreme PRO Portable NVME V2.

Maybe I should just stick with the 1TB Sammy T5 I have now as it's very fast and has plenty of storage space.

Get myself the Plugable enclosure in case I need to extract customer data. There's enclosures for 1/2 the cost, but I love high quality so I am willing to spend extra to get it.

Last edited:
USB Type C is a connector descriptor, just like USB mini, A, B, etc. Thunderbolt is a chipset. All Apples with a USB 3 type connector should support TB devices. That's not the case in the Wintel world.

Back