[TIP] Nice USB Hub

Appletax

Reaction score

Bought the first one. Plugable seems to be a very good company. Two-year warranty! Lots of good reviews.

Was not impressed with many hubs I came across (lots of cheap Chinesium).

I really like that it has a USB-C cable and ethernet port. Just wish it had at least one more USB type A port.

Nice alternatives:

Anker USB-C Hub

Amazonbasics USB-C Hub

Last edited:
I tend to stick with the Anker line - they always seem to have a good price/performance ratio. Ridiculous how much Apple charges for one of those adapters.

Just bought this. Plugable seems to be a very good company. Two-year warranty! Lots of good reviews.

Was not impressed with many hubs I came across (lots of cheap Chinesium).

I really like that it has a USB-C cable and ethernet port. Just wish it had at least one more USB type A port.

Nice alternatives:

Anker USB-C Hub

Amazonbasics USB-C Hub
I have the same model, works well no issues. I use it with Apple devices - hence probably your reasoning.

Think I might get this for my own laptop (main PC):

I have a Pluggable USB 3 Dock that I got from a local thrift store for $8. On Amazon it's listed for $129. This thing is stable and works great. Gives me 4 X USB 2, 2 X USB 3 plus DVI, HDMI and LAN. It uses USB Printer style cable, but for USB 3. The only annoying thing is the bright blue led, it's in my room and at night I have to make sure it's covered up or else it managed to reflect everywhere.

I have a Pluggable USB 3 Dock that I got from a local thrift store for $8. On Amazon it's listed for $129. This thing is stable and works great. Gives me 4 X USB 2, 2 X USB 3 plus DVI, HDMI and LAN. It uses USB Printer style cable, but for USB 3. The only annoying thing is the bright blue led, it's in my room and at night I have to make sure it's covered up or else it managed to reflect everywhere.
What an odd thing to find in a thrift store! Plugable seems to be a pretty reliable brand with very nice 2-year warranties! I messaged them with questions a few times and they were very helpful.

Cover the LED with electrical tape? Don't think it leaves a residue.

USB Printer-style cable = USB Type-B.

Hmm this feels famliar. I bought a Pluggable USB 3 hub (an older model of the one in this thread) at a thrift store for $5. 7x 3.0 ports, 2 are designated for charging, and yes the bright blue LEDs on every port are killer at night. I covered them up with electrical tape.

Speaking of thrift stores these are things I've gotten over the years:

- Brother HL-5040 back in like 2006. Got it for Like $5 or $10. Worked fine just had to buy some toner. I print so little at home I just finally bought a new drum in the end of 2021 and still using my toner from 2007.
- Dell Axim PDA back in 2005-2007. Couldn't have paid more than $20. Had a dock and everything. Long gone though.
- This one got away. I saw an HP P2055dn printer for $5. I should have bought it. I guess I didn't want to stand in line holding it. Even if it didn't work I've got a few customers with those printers. Used one at work too.
- Got an older custom rig for $6. Antec like SLK3700 case. Had a DFI LanParty motherboard. Sold the LanParty as is with busted caps (never even turned it on) for $80 on ebay.
- Various LCD monitors over the years.
- Magpul CTR AR-15 stock and MOE pistol grip foe $5. It was in the electronics section?
- Got a $4 articulating arm lamp recently.
- Got a 2 drawer HON file cabinet for $10
- Got a Ti-84 back in like 2006 for a few bucks
- Got another Ti-84 a couple years ago for 99 cents.

Back