Compatibility: What is your experience with PCIe NVMe enclosures and Samsung SSD drives?

Peperonix

Reaction score
Hi there,

Some time ago, I aquired the Unitek S1203C adapter from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005216863411.html

I observed that it is able to work with some models of PCIe NVMe SSD but not other ones :
  • SK Hynix PC601 HFS512GD9, with 512GB capacity is deteted.
    (m.2 2280, PCIe Gen3 x4, SK Hynix controller)

• Samsung 970 Evo Plus, Model MZ-V7S1T0BW, with 1TB capacity is not detected.
    (m.2 2280, PCIe Gen 3.0 x 4, NVMe 1.3, Samsung MXJ controller)
The key seems an M-one for both SSDs and both fits the adapter.

Both SSD are supported by HP EliteBook x360 1030 G3.

So, I cannot where the incompatibility with the Samsung SSD could come from.

I could not find much information about the Unitek S1203C adapter, apart from thus on the Aliexpress listing.
Unitek seems now commercializing a model with similar enclosure design, but its SKU is S1203ABK:
https://www.unitek-products.com/products/usb3-1-gen2-type-c-to-m-2-ssd-nvme-enclosure-black

I cannot find the technical infos that I would need about the Unitek enclosures :
  • which the maximal capacity?
  • which version of the NVMe protocol?
  • which brands of SSD are supported?
This is pain, because I have an undetected Samsung 960 Evo to test, and I am not sure if the problem comes from the SSD or from uncompatible enclosure.

So, I would like to hear about :
  1. Which adapter USB enclosures models are you using for NVMe PCIe drives with M-Key, and with which models you have found them being compatible?
  2. Did you encounter any compatibility problem of your enclosure with the SSDs from Samsung (or with other brands) ?
  3. Possible details to look at when buying a NVMe PCIe enclosure for M-Key SSDs.
Thanks for sharing.

Unitek-S1203C.jpg

Hi there,

Some time ago, I aquired the Unitek S1203C adapter from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005216863411.html

I observed that it is able to work with some models of PCIe NVMe SSD but not other ones :
  • SK Hynix PC601 HFS512GD9, with 512GB capacity is deteted.
    (m.2 2280, PCIe Gen3 x4, SK Hynix controller)

• Samsung 970 Evo Plus, Model MZ-V7S1T0BW, with 1TB capacity is not detected.
    (m.2 2280, PCIe Gen 3.0 x 4, NVMe 1.3, Samsung MXJ controller)
The key seems an M-one for both SSDs and both fits the adapter.

Both SSD are supported by HP EliteBook x360 1030 G3.

So, I cannot where the incompatibility with the Samsung SSD could come from.

I could not find much information about the Unitek S1203C adapter, apart from thus on the Aliexpress listing.
Unitek seems now commercializing a model with similar enclosure design, but its SKU is S1203ABK:
https://www.unitek-products.com/products/usb3-1-gen2-type-c-to-m-2-ssd-nvme-enclosure-black

I cannot find the technical infos that I would need about the Unitek enclosures :
  • which the maximal capacity?
  • which version of the NVMe protocol?
  • which brands of SSD are supported?
This is pain, because I have an undetected Samsung 960 Evo to test, and I am not sure if the problem comes from the SSD or from uncompatible enclosure.

So, I would like to hear about :
  1. Which adapter USB enclosures models are you using for NVMe PCIe drives with M-Key, and with which models you have found them being compatible?
  2. Did you encounter any compatibility problem of your enclosure with the SSDs from Samsung (or with other brands) ?
  3. Possible details to look at when buying a NVMe PCIe enclosure for M-Key SSDs.
Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 14742
Can't help you a whole lot except that I use this, and all I use are Samsung SSD's whether they are NVme or SATA

They don't tell you what bridge chip they use. I have a NVME USB adapter and mine uses some MediaTek chip. I don't have any Samsung NVME, just a WD SN730 which did work.

Also, with Samsung, is it fully updated firmware wise?

We have collected several adapters, and just go through them until the drive is detected correctly. We use mostly Samsung for drives we sell, but obviously customer devices that they bring to use are all over the map.

Reactions: GTP
Back