[TIP] Which Flash Drive is Your Favorite?

@britechguy I have a PT-1800, a cartridge is <$15 and lasts a VERY long time for my use. When I'm making labels for my USB keys I set the font to 6pt, and try to print multiple at a shot with spaces between the lettering. Because I have to trim the labels manually anyway, I'm always trying to limit the extra wasted at the start and end of every print.

I'm not sure I'd qualify all that as expensive, I just try to limit waste in everything I do as a force of habit. Mostly the labler gets used making labels for desktops.

@Sky-Knight

It wasn't a criticism, or questioning what you do, it was an explanation of why I do what I do.

And, by comparison to masking tape, and for my purposes, $15/roll is insanely expensive. It's all relative, but I will agree in absolute terms $15 is not all that expensive. But I do find the stuff hellish to remove after the glue has set.

Do most of you actually cherish your flash drives? I feel like I cycle out at least a dozen every month. I constantly carry 32GB drives as I pick them up for about $4 after tax. If someone wants one after a data transfer (which is usually their data on it) no prob $15 charge. At what point have USB drives become a fashion statement based off this thread?

All metal Samsung or Kingston drives. We don't sell plastic flash drives.
This is a good idea in preventing physical damage, like when USB connector breaks. BUT, when the flash chip goes and we need to cut into the metal to remove the flash chip, hooooweeee: the customer has a problem with the price, especially that most of those are monolithic packages (all in one built).

I like metal drives. I had a couple Kingston ones, like this:

31UpGSJdmqL._AC_SX450_.jpg

I had one on my key ring. One day I noticed the board inside was gone and all that was left was the shell. I believe this happened to both drives. Not long after one I found the board laying in the parking lot outside my car. Can't remember if it still worked or not. That can be a downside of some of these metal designs that are basically a sleeve for the board. What was nice about this one was the big hole.

I currently havea Samsung Bar on my key ring:
samsung_muf_32be3_am_32gb_bar_plus_usb_1405989.jpg

The odd shape at the end with the small hole make it a little cumbersome on my key ring. Time will tell if one day I go to use it and find it empty as well.

I picked up a small dual flash drive that's USB A and USB C on either side. Really small. I was intending to use it with my phone on the USB-C side but my phone case prohibits that. The USB-C port is off center in the flap on my case since the microphone is right next to it.

Here's what my flash drive looks like with the tag I bought.

I wish it had a string or zip tie instead of metal ring because it scratches the end of the flash drive a bit.

Did not think this through lol.

flash.jpg

Couldn't you just cut off the blue plastic on the right & attach the cord on the other side?
Well maybe but I would have to always insert it one way, which kinda defeats the USB-C flip ability. Maybe I don't need the string It just makes it easier to pull out of a port. Hmmm could cut both sides.

which kinda defeats the USB-C flip ability

Eh. I am so used to color-coding cables of the various "micro" connection types so that I can instantly grab the correct one that I never rely on that "flip ability" anyway. The side I've coded (and I do one because so many can't flip) is always the one that is skyward and eye-ward.

To me, the design on that one is odd in that you'd think they'd have put that pull lanyard on the end away from the plug-in end. There can be a number of situations where it could block complete plugin on larger devices that have bezels around the various ports and/or recess them slightly.

Eh. I am so used to color-coding cables of the various "micro" connection types so that I can instantly grab the correct one that I never rely on that "flip ability" anyway. The side I've coded (and I do one because so many can't flip) is always the one that is skyward and eye-ward.

To me, the design on that one is odd in that you'd think they'd have put that pull lanyard on the end away from the plug-in end. There can be a number of situations where it could block complete plugin on larger devices that have bezels around the various ports and/or recess them slightly.
It's because it's a dual sided drive. One side is USB-C and the other side is USB-A. I went ahead and shaved down both sides. If I only shaved down one side I would always have to pay attention and insert it the same way. So I just took down both sides. I moved the pull to the cap now since the side points are gone.

The drive before was still pretty small so shouldn't really be any issue plugging into any USB-A port.

5Xf7qdRYiw9De9bPp5-WWk7W1b2kPWCUO_LSIyg7fnEK52pUeFPpZIbKlY-bUV-bTYYXqk3aZegsQFGyMSVk1KqvDTUhvPUXuMEs9toZUriq0zZ1OoVn7nizeAM3ESEOruJ_U07krU58Z7pm3YfF-axaMyke6PUUgUFQXKF2dM-8OTn-fSXRJn85v8N7vpEoe5wKraKA-Pyy38DXgtl7tRv7mjZj2coCkw9tcTOS9Atdw2pl1I8FVqplu0sS1PuZFBpwJsKoj3f_6FWWu4kUc5P9hb98MUQ4Ly7tMJUa5eZwX6_XrykhGAX26Sx4Q0NKs_eAMve3H4s-y4Ik-wuHevP9T8WOoUJ7fRdEXk5cKHDfN4OgLEZPm_FUiNMdd0Sun0uWy1Dqbdx8zEQPeOOiDOfEECOIOet798PxJ8gqzbtvsGFaPGWA96laRKgyaH8yaN60yf_CoIuxD9UKSrF_haeiwrAKXsw9CIZ963Rgl2CExQbZA6ZWFaP6y1qsETt1E6Aze4G9xskTqleedhPlsSGGYBrOGnOy_vH9TfwBzAnCI7e_gzxCqofcHAeSp9bp1GjKo-y44NtlDqw8Az5F31YiTuQBCAgGOSVRPIhAOwhlworuNXsmxYigHA03zLMyi3-YRfjZWg1ducXBmNDCRKyUBRKgLWXwZiHMTS-sEx-2Fs4RCx8BzT5lOwMxbqADCCgpx8pMdH9D5oTcLTTGJrE=w1336-h946-no

Last edited:
What I was trying to say is that I don't really care about the flipability. I mark one side of the cable, not both, out of habit because a number are not flipable.

If I wanted that lanyard I'd keep the side that didn't cause problems on the equipment I use it with and file off the opposite side.

Back