Technicians who refuse to Nuke and Pave

I agree with case by case scenario.. sometimes it really is the best solution like when a machine comes in heavily infected with crap and even after removal there's still minor registry issues and file associations are all wrong.

N&P also gives the advantage of returning a much faster computer to the client usually too so that's an added bonus plus like mentioned, sometimes it really is the quickest solution.

I really don't think N & P is ever an option. Maybe, maybe at the absolute worst case scenario.

It's just too pizza tech'ish for me.

Best of luck

we tend to try and avoid it were possible unless the customer asks for it, its far too destructive, not so much in terms of their data, but their personal settings and the look of the system! as mentioned before, some users have random icons that perform a specific action they dont know how else to do (even if it is load skype/ internet explorer etc) there are too many other 'pc repair' places around here that arent actual technicians but advertise cheap virus removal and N&P is all they no, no data backups, no drivers, no real customer service... its nice to be different and give the customer their system back as it was before, minus the problems! means less repeat calls when they get home "the internet isnt working.... i've clicked the blue E and its opened, but this screen says msn... my internet is plugged into AOL" .....

... its nice to be different and give the customer their system back as it was before, minus the problems! means less repeat calls when they get home "the internet isnt working.... i've clicked the blue E and its opened, but this screen says msn... my internet is plugged into AOL" .....

This is where Fabs 4 comes in so handy when a N&P needs to be done. Not only does it backup/restore the user's files, it also saves/restores the desktop image, screen saver settings, Favorites, browser settings and home page (MSIE, Firefox, other browsers too), etc.

When a N&P'd PC is returned to the customer, the closer it is to what the customer is used to, the better off we all are.

No N&P here. Only when the client ask for it will I do that. Its just way to much work to N&P backup data scan data and put on system.

opinion

i think it is useful if it would take way to long to get every virus(and what if you miss a piece). i do it when it will save the customer money.

If I've learned anything in my years of working with PCs, it's "never say 'never' and never say 'always'".

I try not to do N&Ps, but for someone to say that they NEVER do it just isn't in the real world. Three weeks ago I had a PC with Vista (no SPs), 3 different AV pgms (none would uninstall), MANY indications of infections and the customer said the problems had been occurring and the PC running slow for "about 2 to 3 months". :eek:

I don't even want to think of how much time I would have spent trying to "fix" this - plus, who knows if I had gotten it all. A N&P was really the only valid solution and I told the customer just that.

I ALMOST did a nuke and pave a couple of months back. Had a machine with a very nasty infection, which was pretty much zero day, so it was one we hadn't seen before and also no info available on the web re: removal.

After 3+ hours I had literally almost given up, but I stuck with it (there goes that stubborn streak!). Anyway got it back into the land of the living. Very next morning, another machine comes in with EXACTLY the same infection, and the following day another 2. So the initial investment in time was worth it in the long run, as the susequent fixes only took about 1/2 hour (excluding scan times off course)

t

I ALMOST did a nuke and pave a couple of months back. Had a machine with a very nasty infection, which was pretty much zero day, so it was one we hadn't seen before and also no info available on the web re: removal.

After 3+ hours I had literally almost given up, but I stuck with it (there goes that stubborn streak!). Anyway got it back into the land of the living. Very next morning, another machine comes in with EXACTLY the same infection, and the following day another 2. So the initial investment in time was worth it in the long run, as the susequent fixes only took about 1/2 hour (excluding scan times off course)

t

This is why I almost never do N&P... :D I know I'll see that nasty varmint malware again someday. Also, I am the type that likes to fix things... And know what happened and how to really "get under the hood"...

Had a TDSS Bootkit a few weeks ago, N&P wouldn't have fixed that one :eek: It took me a week to figure out how to kill that one (thankfully I had imaged the system prior to working on it, had to restore it a few times during the fight to regain control of the system again). It was quite the learning experience, and the customer was understanding of the whole process and time required, I just capped the repair at $100 and told her why. Was one of the nastier battles I've had in a while with that unit.

I don't like having to do my job twice, and I don't like spending more time on something than what was paid for. Most problems are sort of solvable after many hours work ... and I need to get through 12 paid systems per day just to make ends meet. If the customer isn't opposed to N&P, that's what they get.

Well, what sort of back-up do you do if you always N&P? Do you use Fabs auto-backup? Or, do you simply tell your clients that it is too far gone. Also, what if they don't have an installation CD, do you use yours (EULA violation)? Please provide details.

I normally tell the clients I will get what I can. Backup them up a freenas box that I have. Then either use the restore disks or ask them to order the disks. If not then I have my cds and try and use their keys on the cases.

sounds like your time is more valuable than customer

I don't like having to do my job twice, and I don't like spending more time on something than what was paid for. Most problems are sort of solvable after many hours work ... and I need to get through 12 paid systems per day just to make ends meet. If the customer isn't opposed to N&P, that's what they get.

Not in customers best interest, yours!

Wow quite a partisan issue. my opinion is

the Never Nuke and Pave People- Get off your holier than thou high horse.

To the Nuke and Pave all the time crowd- Quit being lazy and do your job.

A system that would still be crappy after removal and some cleanup and tuning- N&P

A system that the user absolutely needs to be able to trust the integrity of and they have verified clean and valid backups- N&P

A system that would perform relatively well after virus removal and a little bit of tuning and clean up- i always try and remove the virus first.

every system that comes in- gets the drive pulled and imaged, even if its going to be a nuke and pave. i will load that image in a VM and run a scan (mainly to gather intel on what is out there.) if i have not seen it before i test my virus removal protocol, and test out the removal instructions for that virus.(not on the customer's dime though)

Wow quite a partisan issue. my opinion is

the Never Nuke and Pave People- Get off your holier than thou high horse.

To the Nuke and Pave all the time crowd- Quit being lazy and do your job.

A system that would still be crappy after removal and some cleanup and tuning- N&P

A system that the user absolutely needs to be able to trust the integrity of and they have verified clean and valid backups- N&P

A system that would perform relatively well after virus removal and a little bit of tuning and clean up- i always try and remove the virus first.

every system that comes in- gets the drive pulled and imaged, even if its going to be a nuke and pave. i will load that image in a VM and run a scan (mainly to gather intel on what is out there.) if i have not seen it before i test my virus removal protocol, and test out the removal instructions for that virus.(not on the customer's dime though)

Well said.

Fill Fill Fill

Back