Technicians who refuse to Nuke and Pave

OldSchoolPC

Reaction score
I've noticed that some technicians on technibble are very passionate on the topic that if they are skilled enough, they never need to do a Nuke and Pave, and that doing so is low-brow and/or overkill etc.. PC techs that are inclined to Nuke and Pave generally cite the fact that it is much faster (thus cheaper for the client), and 100 effective for virus removal and windows issues. For me, I steer away from Nuke and Pave and only do it in rare cases (1 in 10).

What is your position on Nuke and Pave? How do you feel about techs who have a different opinion than you?

This one again huh? Been covered a million times before, but one more time won't hurt :p

My opinion:
Whatever is best for the client

About other Tech's opinions.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
but one more time won't hurt

You sure about that? Get some grumpy tech after a long day of N&P/Never N&P and I'm sure some people will have a snap ;)

Use the search function mate :) I'm beginning to think we should close duplicate threads...

What if the infection is in the data files you have backed up and restored to the clean install?

What if the rootkit is wearing a new cloak that you have manually missed and scanners have failed to pick up?

Nuke & Pave, the pro's and con's have all been said before. As Methical says do what you think is in the best interest of the client.

Since Methical was willing to address it again, I will too. Here is a cut and paste from a prior post of mine:

You will find many discussions about Nuke and Pave here in the forums and the consensus is that for home users it is a bad solution. It disappoints the customer in many ways, change to everything they got used to and leads to many call backs such as "where is that picture of the little man I used to click on to talk to my cousin in Minnesota?" "How come when I look at my pictures it looks different, I want it the same" (file extension linked to some default viewer instead of the proprietary one that installed when they installed their printer . . . yes . . I am talking about you HP). No MS Office installation disk 'cause it was a pirated copy from their old girlfriend's IT guy. It goes on and on and on.

The exception is the office machine with excellent backup and all necessary program install disks. There the N/P solution is expected.

Many times I have clients ask me to wipe their system and start again, because of either a crash or a virus. Now depending on the simplicity or complexity of the issue at hand, I will. If it doesn't need it, it doesn't have it. If I think its going to take me literally hours to repair then I will.

I do whats best for client, as has been said before. There have been a few times, when a client asks me how much it would be. (I do flat rate repairs), so quote them eg £65 for the job, only to come in and pay, to find the job was £45.

The client goes away happy, knowing that I have done a good job, they have saved some money, and recommend me onwards.

When it is best for the client, I am getting very good at virus removals though and lately haven't seen many rootkits, so I have rarely needed to N&P. In the past 6 weeks the only time I have done is when a hard drive has failed.

I don't like doing it unless I really have to. Obviously if a system has root kit problems and I can't solve it after a while I will give up and just reinstall windows.

It depends how busy I am too, if I am mad busy (like at the moment) I am more likely to N&P, if I am quiet I might try and remove the rootkits as a learning exercise.

I put the Windows install date on up top on the info tab in D7 because I like to know when the last clean install was done (although repair installs reset this...) because occasionally I have a system with a LOT of issues, then I look at that and think, man, it's time to N&P this thing, it's old!

Sometimes there could be tons of little issues with a system you don't need to waste hours tracking down and fixing all of them when you can do it in far less time. This either saves your customers money, or it saves your wasted efforts and you make much more per hour of teching than you would otherwise, or both.

Now as a tech I'm inclined to take the hard road and track down all the issues, because I don't think in terms of business I think in terms of "hey there's a problem, I'm gonna fix it if I'm worth my salt."

But I try really hard to think of what works out best for the customer AND for my company, in the given situation. Sometimes the customer really would be happier with an N&P if they've had numerous issues with their current install - or have issues they forget to tell you about. Things you don't check for in the course of a typical repair. If the customer is happier, then your business is better for it.

But it's all about keeping them happy. I have one client with an XP install dating back to 2002 or 2003 I believe. PC has been upgraded numerous times. He has had countless infections over the years, and tons of other problems. I quit working for the place he was a customer of, moved to another city, years later moved back, now working for the same employer again he is my client again -- still the same XP install. And this guy loves crappy registry cleaners and system performance increasing apps and all that total BS people buy into, no matter how hard we explain they either don't work or cause other issues... and there are so many quirky things about this install that just aren't right. For instance in add/remove programs, the list gets broken up by thousands of lines of blank and solid black lines, so you've got to scroll forever to find something in there. No harm no foul, so we leave it alone... but tons of quirky little issues like that all resulting no doubt from years of corrupted registry replacements and those crappy apps he likes so much.

As a tech I've spent tons of hours on that guy's computer, and it's always challenging. If there ever was a problem with XP, this guy had it more than once. But as much as I want to N&P a 10 year old Windows install just on general principal, he pays to keep that thing running just the way it is. At least he pays. If he didn't, then he'd either get an N&P one day whether he liked it or not, or I would just turn his business away.

Those who do nuke and pave as the main option are missing two points:

1) Data that is restored may be infected and respread
2) Windows encryption keys may be damaged or deleted, rendering restored data useless.

Unless the customer specifically wants a N&P, I believe that all of us will attempt to fix a problem before resorting to a N&P. How much time each of us will spend attempting a fix before recommending a N&P is highly variable (and has been much debated here on TN).

However, once the decision is made to do a N&P, if the customer's data is to be backed up and restored, after the data is backed up, it MUST be subject to antivirus/antispyware scans BEFORE it is restored. To not do so, in opinion, is gross negligence.

There is a time to N&P and a time not to if you have to N&P because of a fake av it's time to find a course on spyware removal or find a website with manual removal instructions.

Most fake av's take me less then one minute to clean up manually i have seen so many i know exactly where to look most i have made scripts for.

I have customers that want to N&P just to get rid of these after talking to them i ask them to watch me remove them after a few mins i hand them back their computer and bill after this i have their friends and family members, co-workers showing up for removal.

Problems with OS such as vista or windows 7 i will N&P as it is fastest way to fix the problem , problems with XP are so easy to fix almost never have to N&P.

I do both, clean the computer with all the weapons that I have on hand, do I manual check then backup the data and do a nuke and pave, extra work for me a bonus for my customer, and I sleep at night knowing that my customers computers are clean.

we hardly ever do a nuke and pave, maybe 1-2 systems every year. I beleive it increases your knowledge by resolving the problem, rather than just painting it over (so to speak).
Whenever we get a new junior in here, its always goes the same way, they start off with only knowing how to resolve an issue by a nuke and pave, so they are a bit daunted when i say they are not allowed to! The do learn though and quickly, and in my view they make better techs.
One of the new juniors (he is pretty green) wanted to do a nuke and pave on a system last week as it had no networking, and "he had tried everything". So showed him how to do an IP protocal rebuild, and everything was good. Next time he has the same issue I guarantee he will use this in his troubleshooting procedure.

t
Gold Coast, Tweed Computer Repairs Service and Upgrades

Nuke it!

I do that 99% of the time. I have never had the virus come back. only a handful of times encryption has kept me from doing a nuke.

Well, what sort of back-up do you do if you always N&P? Do you use Fabs auto-backup? Or, do you simply tell your clients that it is too far gone. Also, what if they don't have an installation CD, do you use yours (EULA violation)? Please provide details.

Back