Microsoft and Windows Licensing (I know, groan, not again!)

britechguy

Reaction score
If they every were consistent about what they do, I'd never even have to ask this question. My machine came from the factory with Windows 11 Home, and I have since upgraded it, in place, to Windows 11 Pro, since all you need to do is provide a key to do so since all the pro features are on a Home machine, but they are just disabled under a Home license.

Here is what my Microsoft Account shows for this laptop:
1716240326439.png

Notice that it does say Windows 11 Pro.

What I am wondering is were I to do a nuke & pave, and a completely clean reinstall of Windows, would it come up as Windows 11 Pro in one step, or will I have to go through the upgrade step again, supplying the key (which I do not know whether I have, but I'm pretty sure I do, as I file these things, I just haven't looked).

I know that it's been said that whatever information is "on the motherboard" is what's used to pick which edition of Windows installs, and in my case that would be Home. But I've also seen it said that if a machine that has a digital license undergoes a completely clean reinstall of Windows, part of that involves fetching licensing information on Microsoft's servers for that hardware, which in this case would be Windows 11 Pro.

So, for those of you who have done/are doing this sort of thing more routinely than I am, how is the Windows installer handling this in practice these days? (and I am presuming with an internet connection available, and with the same Microsoft Account linked Windows 11 User Account being created again on reinstall).

What I've done is modify a file on the Windows installer disk. I don't have the details handy, but I'll post them when I can find them or maybe someone else will chime in. Basically, the modification is some extra text in a file that makes Windows stop during the install and let you pick which edition (i.e. Pro) rather than just automatically installing what the system came with.

With that in place I just install Pro and it activates after install, only have to install once, no Home then upgrade to Pro.

Download and build an installer using the multi-edition iso.

I have done this in the past, as well as getting the multi-edition ISO, and knew others who had as well. I remember them reporting that they were not given any choics as far as edition to install and that what was auto-picked was what shipped with the machine from the factory.

What I'm trying to determine is whether the installers have gotten "more intelligent" in terms of digital entitlements added later.

I have done this in the past, as well as getting the multi-edition ISO, and knew others who had as well. I remember them reporting that they were not given any choics as far as edition to install and that what was auto-picked was what shipped with the machine from the factory.

What I'm trying to determine is whether the installers have gotten "more intelligent" in terms of digital entitlements added later.
I've not really done much of anything with W11H->P. But when I did upgrades on W7U it automatically upgraded to P. And a nuke and pave registered P. Just don't remember if I had to pick it in the beginning or if it was automatic when I tried a reload on. the updated machine.

Win 7 computers did not have the key in the bios chip.
What about Windows 8 computers (according to sticker) that were installed with Windows 7.
Key in BIOS chip or in the registry? Or maybe Windows 8 key in BIOS chip and Windows 7 key in the registry?

Back