stop c000021a fatal error 0x00000402 During xp install

Well he came in today and tryd telling me he'd pay only 50$. I told him that was unnexceptable and that I'd hold on to it until he payed in full. Well he ranted and raved for 15 min and the left withought paying anything. about 45 min later he comes walking back in with 2 police officers. He told them that he brought the pc in for work and that I wont return it to him. Well I pulled out the work release order form and showed them the line stating that I had to be payed in full before I'd return it. The cops pretty much told him he was screwed and that he'd have to pay if he wants it back... So he pulled out his wallet and payed me in full. He wont be coming back but who needs a customer like that to begin with.

Well he came in today and tryd telling me he'd pay only 50$. I told him that was unnexceptable and that I'd hold on to it until he payed in full. Well he ranted and raved for 15 min and the left withought paying anything. about 45 min later he comes walking back in with 2 police officers. He told them that he brought the pc in for work and that I wont return it to him. Well I pulled out the work release order form and showed them the line stating that I had to be payed in full before I'd return it. The cops pretty much told him he was screwed and that he'd have to pay if he wants it back... So he pulled out his wallet and payed me in full. He wont be coming back but who needs a customer like that to begin with.

Good man, you stood by your agreement and your principles and got paid for the work you carried out. Well done!

No i ended up charging him for his vista liscence key, install of os and 3 hrs of trouble shooting. Came out to $330 plus tax. I really could have charged him for all the hrs sice he told me to keep trying and I told him that my hrly pay was still going to be in effect. ehich wouldve been 550 plus tax. So i tryd helping him out a little in the end by only chraging for 3 hrs. Some ppl are so hard headed and unwilling to give on certian matters. he coulda had vista reinstalled in the beginning for 180$ instead he ended up paying $330 and ended up with vista. all because he wanted me to keep tryin xp. his problem not mine. I told him vista will work over 5 times

Well, what do you know.....I have a laptop with the same issue, but with Vista. Of course, the client isn't giving any info except "the computer keeps restarting all of a sudden".

System will seem to boot into Vista, but just before the logon screen the system will reboot. Safe mode, normal, etc. all the same. Halted reboot on system error and received the c000021a bsod. Googled the error - plenty of results, very light on solutions, even from Microsoft.

I tried scanning the drive with Dr. Web Live CD - no go. Definitions load, but the scan never starts. Very curious. So, I remove the hard drive and slave it in another system. Several trojans were found and removed. Reinstalled hard drive - same error.

So, now I'm thinking of performing a repair installation. Very curious that I cannot access the Administrator account, just the main user account (I receive an error when trying to access the Admin account). While I'm there I decide to use the recovery console to execute sfc /scannow. That doesn't work - receive error: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

By the way, I did scan hardware for issues, reseated/replaced ram & ran a bios update. System passed all hardware tests.

What I'm thinking is that the system was hit with a rootkit or trojan that changed system permissions, deleted all restore points and may have changed some system files. I also feel that someone who really didn't know what they were doing tried to fix it and made it worse. I don't know if this system has (had) SP1 or SP2 installed and at this point I really don't care. I already made an image of the drive and backed up all data (first thing I actually did), so tomorrow I'll be performing a n&p (first one in a while). I feel defeated, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Back