stop c000021a fatal error 0x00000402 During xp install

BlackHaxx

Reaction score
Today a customer brought in a pc that his son installed a pirated version of win 7 on. He wanted to put xp back on it because 7 was running slow. So I bought a new xp license and continued to do a clean install. But kept running across this Blue screen message during install stop c000021a fatal error 0x00000402 fatal system error. I havnt seen it before so I googled for an hour with no avail.

So I Decide to nuke and pave which didnt help. So then i tried acronis kill disk same problem during system install.

I have tested mobo and ran mem test with no flags or errors showing.

Any help would be appreciated ty

Are you installing xp pro or home?
Again in the past I have had success by using xp home as opposed to pro and it has worked, I have even gone to the extreme of installing windows '98 and then upgrading to xp on really old machines, also have you tried a different hard drive?

Don't think Hdd is a problem have ran chkdisk and numerous other Hdd test.
I've been attempting to install xp pro. but i have also try installing win 98 then upgrading to pro. same error happens during install on win 98.

I've tryd an external cd drive. same issue so its not that.

I will hook up my 30 gig test Hdd and try with that

and add 2 new sticks of memory will im doing that

just dont think those are the problem but will attempt it

I have tryd many of my own (copied xp install disc) and an actual real xp install disc so i dont believe this is the problem either

just got a new error also stop 0x000000b4 falied video driver i believe correct me if im wrong

pc had a ati radeon x1050 vga card installed. removed it rebooted no vga error now but back to other Blue screen

Reads as follows:

Top: c00021a (fatal system error)

The windows logon proccess system proccess terminated unexpectedly with a status of

0x00000403 (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The system has been shutdown.

also tryd the new hdd and memory no help

Does the machine have an additional graphics card installed, if so pull it and use the embedded graphics, it may be a case of going back to basics, remove anything that was not originally in the machine, double check that the correct ram is installed as after market ram may work when installed into active operating system but can cause conflicts when trying to do a fresh install.
in addition can you get hold of motherboard disc to re-install mb drivers.

Last edited:
have removed avg card and replaced with diff mem. ive doen some research and i believe this is the problem

// MessageId: STATUS_DLL_INIT_FAILED
// {DLL Initialization Failed}
// Initialization of the dynamic link library %hs failed. The process is terminating abnormally.
#define STATUS_DLL_INIT_FAILED ((NTSTATUS)0xC0000142L)

Winlogon.exe could not start because it could not load the one or more linked DLLs.

so how do i fix this and am i correct in believing this is the problem

By the way, at what point during the installation does it blue screen? Do you ever get to the gui portion of the install? Do you ever get to the screens that ask for user input like the license key, date / timezone, typical / custom settings, username, admin password, etc.

it goes throught he blue screen where setup is loading files.. restarts than the xp logo comes up and goes to scrren where setup is initializing immediatley after i see that BSOD

You may think I'm crazy, but I've run into situations where the monitor was causing the problem. A few years ago I helped a client replace some aging HP systems. The monitors were fine, so we kept them. Each one of the new computers blue screened when connected to those monitors. We switched monitors and everything was fine. So, as a goof, try using a different monitor.

Okay just hooked up a different monitor installation stopped due to a fatal system error yet again.... i am burning a mobo driver cd as we speak will try that but again i think the problem has to do with the winlogon.exe and a dll that is related to it.. but will attempt the mobo cd in about 5 minutes

Back