stop c000021a fatal error 0x00000402 During xp install

Run setup from the HD itself

Have you tried copying the files from the retail XP disc to the hard drive and running windows setup from the hard drive itself? Remove the CD before running setup this way.

just attempted copying the xp cd files and running setup wihtout cd... ran into same issue.

Steps we've tried

1.So now that weve done the step above we know conclusively that the xp install cds are not at fault. (also tryd win 98 same problem)

2.I've removed all extra pci cards and have the bare necessities on the machine.
And still recieve the same error

3.Bios was reflashed. So bios are not at fault

4. tryd a diff hdd. same problem

5. have removed and replaced the ram. tested with memtest.. no flags or errors

6. reinstalled mobo drivers. same problem

7. used external cd drive same problem

8. attempted using a different monitor upon members request to try. same problem

9. Have tested psu (passed) and to appease my self have installed a replacement psu.

So weve gone through many trials and errors (literally)

I just cant fathom what could be causing this.

It sounds like something on the machine needs a driver that Vista has but the others don't. Given you've replaced everything that only leaves the mobo.

Could it be the SATA controller driver or something?

How about slipstreaming the drivers for the everything you can think of and/or Xp service packs?

Could this or something like this be relevant?: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d945gccr/sb/CS-025908.htm

Last edited:
Intel® Desktop Board D945GCCR
Windows* XP installation failure with Certain SATA hard drives

Symptom(s):
Certain combinations of SATA hard drives and DDR2 memory modules may cause the operating system installation to fail. Symptoms can be either blue-screen or a crash after the Windows* installation files have been copied. Also in some cases, the SATA drive will not be shown on the list for Windows installation.

Solution:
To resolve this issue, try these recommendations:

* Upgrade to the latest BIOS available
* Configure for dual channel memory support
* Use a different make and model of SATA drive
* Use a different make and model of memory

The symptoms above are exactly what I've been experiencing.word for word Blue screen occurs after windows installation copies files. I have tried a different sata drive. So will attempt to slipstream before I decide that the final analysis is tat the mobo is the problem thanks mobile techie!

hi!try a different memory speed...

and maximum of 1gb first...

i tried them before...

What kind of computer is it?

Have you tried using an older and smaller hard drive (100GB or smaller) in the computer? maybe XP is having trouble with the newer drive, make sure and unplug the new drive before trying to install windows XP.

When you ran memtest on the RAM did you test it one stick at a time? Sometimes errors can hide if you don't do the test this way but I dont think its the RAM

If you check the RAM and the hard drive I think the only things left then is the Motherboard, CPU and BIOS it sounds like that you have checked everything else.

What kind of computer is it? What kind of hardware does it have?

I would also suggest either Windows Vista or a legitimate copy of Windows 7. You've done all this work might as well make sure the customer is happy!!!

I would also suggest either Windows Vista or a legitimate copy of Windows 7. You've done all this work might as well make sure the customer is happy!!!

If you read the entire thread you will see the computer was originally running vista but the customer wanted xp installing which blackhaxx could not get to install.

Looks like you've tried everything short of dropping a different proc in there, guess if you tried that and it didn't work you'd know it has to be the mobo. :)

If using multiple memory sticks, did you test them with 86+ individually?

In the past I've ran into issues where testing multiple sticks brought up zero errors but testing the same sticks individually gave me errors and I was able to finally resolve the issue.

Customer doesnt want me to replace proccesor. And yes have tested sticks individually. I told him the best alternative he would have would be to either install vista again or do an upgrade to win 7 and put another gig of memory in and that we could turn off aero for a lil increase in performance. He said that he'd call and let me know in the a.m. But he doesnt think that I should be charging him bench time for the pc as well as price of install of O.S I kindly told him that I had other jobs as well to do this week and that I had to charge for bench time or I'd make less than $8 an hr for this job seeing as i have almost 6-7hrs of total work time put into troubleshooting this error code. He signed a work release for when he dropped it off that include my hourly pay etc. I went over it with him twice and he signed it agreeing that he understood.I kept him updated with information on the work the whole time and told him 2 days ago that Vista would install fine and it could be ready for him to pick up at the end of the work day. He declined to do this the first time we talked about it.Would yall have charged bench time in this situation? He was pretty ****** about this on the phone and said that he thought i was trying to scam him. He said that I was telling him there was a problem so that I could accumulate more hours

Last edited:
When I hire a service professional I expect the person to have a certain level of expertise. I fully understand that sometimes issues can arise that require additional research. However, I am not willing to pay for their education. I take the same approach in my business. If I run into a repair situation that is not going as expected and I need to research the issue I will not charge the customer for the time I need to spend researching & troubleshooting. I do not charge them for my education. It's unfortunate that the issue could not be resolved, but spending 6-7 hours troubleshooting was your choice. I would consider it experience and not charge for it.

As I Said I told him 2 days back that it seems that vista and windows 7 seemed to be the only available solution to his problem with upgrade memory And that It would be ready at the end of that work day if we went that direction.He told me to keep trying to get xp on it and I told him that my hourly fees would still apply. He accpeted those terms and now he doesnt want to pay for it

As I Said I told him 2 days back that it seems that vista and windows 7 seemed to be the only available solution to his problem with upgrade memory And that It would be ready at the end of that work day if we went that direction.He told me to keep trying to get xp on it and I told him that my hourly fees would still apply. He accpeted those terms and now he doesnt want to pay for it

Simple answer in my eyes would be to hold onto his computer until such a time that he agrees to pay for your time (perhaps come to some agreement over the amount) , I would also mention to the client that storage fees could be involved depending on how long you are stuck with the pc. You may well end up losing this client but do you really need clients like him?

Back