stop c000021a fatal error 0x00000402 During xp install

still same results fatal error. just for fun i put my vista install disc in and let it run for a lil. no issues no bsod... ran it for about 20 min what gives

Originally vista. owner said he hated vista and windows 7 because it lagged the system. He wants xp on it and nothing else. I have contacted him again explaining the problems and said we could reinstall vista and add another gig of memory to help speed it up some. but he is avid about having windows xp installed

If the machine was originally configured for vista it is almost impossible to install xp onto it, the machine is set up for vista drivers and software, you MIGHT be able to install xp eventually but chances are it is not going to run properly and some of the drivers will not install, been there , done that.

is it possible to install vista without license key then from the windows gui insert xp cd and install through windows

I don't think it will let you as you are effectively downgrading the system and if I am correct windows will only let you upgrade, on top of that you will still encounter problems with xp drivers conflicting with vista, the only way I have been able to swap operating systems on a pc is if the pc is a custom build. I would tell the customer it cannot be done and charge them for your time.

Seems that is the only option i have then. I hate losing a battle with a pc. thank you for all the help guys.

Full format with HD manufacturer's utility disc

Have you tried using the hard drive manufacturer's utility disc to do a full format first before letting windows format and install?

Have you tried doing a windows XP repair installation?

Are you doing a quick format or a full format?

Did you say that you were able to get windows 98 to install correctly?

How about doing a dual boot system? Vista and XP with XP as default OS.

0xC000021A info:

The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error. This error may have several causes. Among them are the following:

* Mismatched system files have been installed.
* A Service Pack installation has failed.
* A backup program that is used to restore a hard disk did not correctly restore files that may have been in use.
* An incompatible third-party program has been installed.

Hdd utility disk was used

xp repair same issue system fatal error

98 does not install

cant get a dual boot to work every time during xp install system error occurs

If the machine was originally configured for vista it is almost impossible to install xp onto it, the machine is set up for vista drivers and software, you MIGHT be able to install xp eventually but chances are it is not going to run properly and some of the drivers will not install, been there , done that.

I've installed XP onto many machines that came with Vista on them. These are OEM machines with Vista installed stickers still on them. I've never run into a problem.

Last edited:
BTW that last time I had a problem like this - not exactly like this but with install errors during the copying phase it was a combination of a bad CD-ROM drive and bad memory.

Annoyingly it was memory I'd just put in so I thought it was OK but it failed Memtest. Took me ages to get to that point though!

I've done mem test with the new ram instaled whent through 8 passes no flags/

Like I and another member has posted it comes down to the winlogon.exe there error code points to that and nothing but that

ghosts in the machine

As a last resort try removing all power from the machine for at least 12 hours. I have had this happen to me before and the machine will hold some settings for hours ( I am guessing that the capacitors hold enough power fseveral hours). When I had this problem I tried several different xp versions and nothing worked. Could install Ubuntu and it ran fine. But no power did something. Less than overnight power removal does not allow all the power to bleed out of the capacitors. I did not remove the bios battery.

It is worth a try

I've done mem test with the new ram instaled whent through 8 passes no flags/

Like I and another member has posted it comes down to the winlogon.exe there error code points to that and nothing but that

Indeed but why are you getting that error in the first place? Why is winlogon producing an error? Something else is causing it surely?

Well ive tested the psu and its working fine. I cant figure out why win logon is causing the error. I dont even believe it should be used out all at the point during the setup. but i have tried installing 98, xp home, xp pro, like i said vista will install fine. is it an error somewhere in the bios settings?

0xC000021A info:

The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error. This error may have several causes. Among them are the following:

* Mismatched system files have been installed.
* A Service Pack installation has failed.
* A backup program that is used to restore a hard disk did not correctly restore files that may have been in use.
* An incompatible third-party program has been installed.

None of these situations it describes to why the error is being caused seems applicable in my situation
usual this error code happens during a normal windows boot up to logon screen not during an installation proccess.

I have tested all my xp install cds on 2 diff test pcs i have and they all go through the installation process fine.

This error is odd to me and believe it is possible at all that this is a false Bsod the info that it post isnt at all applicable to the situation I believe... I agree mobiletech there must be an underlying error causing this not the winlogon.exe

Back