[SOLVED] Recommend a PATA/IDE to USB Adapter

Appletax

Reaction score
Solution: StarTech USB 3.0 to SATA/IDE.

---------------------
For the very rare chance that a customer brings in an ancient PC with PATA/IDE HDD, which USB adapter do you recommend?

There appears to be only one that is not cheap Chinesium garbage. It is not cheap!

StarTech IDE to USB Adapter - $32

One important thing is that the IDE connector gives enough space for the Molex power connector.

Probably does not matter much that the StarTech is USB 2.0 as these older drives are slow.

Last edited:
Don't think that will work with 3.5" drives. Not enough power. You'll need a power supply. Doesn't look like they include it.

Don't think that will work with 3.5" drives. Not enough power. You'll need a power supply. Doesn't look like they include it.
The one @Appletax posted has the power supply. I've used that model for many years. It includes 2.5" IDE. Works great but the power connector is pretty cramped next to the IDE drive plug. You have to flex the data cable up a bit to fit the power cable in. Yes, it's USB 2.0 but IDE drives are usually pretty small also.

Mine did come with a power supply with a Molex plug, but it was junk and didn't last long. For 3.5" drives, I do what @Markverhyden does, just use a spare power supply connector. The adapter powers 2.5" drives from the USB port.

I didn't use it much for a few years, but been using it a lot lately with some old 40GB laptop drives that would otherwise be useless, just to move stuff around and such. Much faster than a flash drive.

Canceled the cheap eBay part and bought the expensive StarTech part.

I used to have one of these made by Sabrent, but it was unreliable junk that I pitched.

Bought the StarTech USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE and it worked perfectly. Didn't realize till now that they also make a USB 3.0 version for a few bucks more, so I am exchanging it.

Back