Recent issue with Photo viewer

YeOldeStonecat

Reaction score
So we have 2x helpdesk tickets in this week.
End users ...using Microsofts default Photo viewer...when opening multiple concurrent pics that are located in any folder in OneDrive/Sharepoint synced folders...will give a big delay when opening the second/third/etc pic. The first picture opens up normally...in a second or two. The second/onward pics....can take over 25-45-60...even on one guys computer...a solid minute and a half. The Photo app will open that next window...but spinning circle for the time period.
I can replicate this on my computer, although mine takes about 25 seconds....so it happens a bit on mine too.

Users used the Photo app heavily prior to the past few weeks and it was always fine. So it's a new development, probably related from some Microsoft update that touched the photo viewer.

On folders that are synced locally "Keep on this computer" I know what some are thinking...no we're not pulling the pics down from the cloud..the folders are already local. Two of these users are experienced and are aware of OneDrives "files on demand" versus "keep on this device". These folders are solid green...local.

The users work with multiple pictures open. So..first pic stay open, and it opened nice 'n quickly. It's that second and third and onward pic...that take forever to open.

I looked around in Photo viewer for options to play with. It does have "slide buttons" to log the app into OD...I tried turning that off..didn't make a diffy.

OneDrive is running healthy on the devices. Other files open fine. Just...pics with the native Microsoft Photos app.

Try another photo viewer because the Windows Photo app sucks? I did, went to the Microsoft store and tried 123 Photos...and it works great. Will have some of our clients use this for the time being I guess.

There are quite a few photo viewer/manager apps out there that are vastly superior to what ships with Windows.

Faststone Image Viewer is one, and free for non-commercial use.

We've had similar issues with files on local network. I havent looked into it since I dont deal much in end user issues like that. A popular 3rd party picture app I always liked was IrfanView.

You know what I always say, check all the Windows updates even if you are managing them. I have had to tell some of my clients to have their MSP push the updates to fix bugs like this.

just my 2 cents.

Back