Win11 Pro, the Photos (& Photos Legacy) App, and iPhone 14 as an external device

britechguy

Reaction score
Same client as the one with the "ghost in the printer."

Two new iPhone 14s less than 2 weeks old. This problem was occurring both before, and after, I updated each to iOS 17.

The Photos app was consistently not recognizing the iPhone as connected even when one could access it via File Explorer. The Photos Legacy app could detect it and consistently import from it.

Windows itself seemed to be inconsistent about recognizing the iPhones when connected by USB, and that was both of them, and both had been set to Trust the PC.

Even after doing a repair install on Win11 Pro, things were still not as I'd have liked them to be. You could not open photos in either Photo App directly from the phone or you'd be told the image files were corrupt, but if you imported them to the PC they worked just fine. In the Photo apps they aslo showed up as thumbnails without problem when being accessed directly on the iPhone.

I just figured I'd report all this in case something is afoot with Windows 11 and its interactions with iPhones of recent vintage.

Back