Outlook - Exchange + IMAP

alexsmith2709

Reaction score
This is the same client as my previous outlook issue (which i still havent been on site for) but one user is having another issue.
He has 2 exchange accounts with the company and both work fine, he recently got created a new email address and for some ridiculous reason (probably whoever created it not knowing what they are doing) is been created as a "Hosted Email" account through rackspace, so the only options are to use POP or IMAP. The user tried adding it as an IMAP account in outlook and it fails every time. The password and server settings are definitely correct. I have tried both automatic and manual ways to double check. I dont get an error code, just a message saying "something went wrong".
Adding this account as a separate profile works fine, but is just annoying for the user. If i tried adding this account to outlook on my computer it works fine. My outlook (which i dont use other than for testing) has my exchange account added so it shouldnt be a exchange plus IMAP issue.
I tried creating a new profile adding his 2 exchange accounts and then adding the IMAP account and it failed again, so its not (or atleast shouldnt be) profile corruption/issues.

I've tried repairing Office 365, both online and offline with no change. Their Office package is licensed to one of the exchange accounts added, not that this should affect anything. It is up to date (the same build number as mine).

Does anyone have any other ideas? I guess i could ask the client to create an exchange account and do it properly, but that wont rule out some hidden issue that i havent spotted.

Repairing Outlook is not going to fix this, I would try this.
Setup a new profile and connect the IMAP first manually with Rackspace settings.
Then try to setup Exchange next.
Or do POP and deliver to Exchange, that's what I would probably do.

Do manual as the connector always defaults to it's momma, Microsoft.

Repairing Outlook is not going to fix this, I would try this.
Setup a new profile and connect the IMAP first manually with Rackspace settings.
Then try to setup Exchange next.
Or do POP and deliver to Exchange, that's what I would probably do.

Do manual as the connector always defaults to it's momma, Microsoft.
@callthatgirl wins again at defeating outlook problems. Adding the IMAP account first worked perfectly.
I'm sure i read somewhere to always add exchange accounts first to prevent issues but thats clearly wrong now!

Thanks very much

Back