New HP Laptops/Desktops BIOS not having advanced settings

MattSysAd

Reaction score
I've had multiple clients get new HP Desktops and laptops that when we try and clone from their old computer to the new drive in the new computer it won't work. The new HPs don't have advanced settings in the BIOS to change drive from RAID or Intel RST to AHCI even though it's not actually in RAID. I've had other manufacturers like dell, Lenovo, Asus allow me to just go in and change that setting and the clone works no problem. Was wondering if anyone knows a workaround or another way to do a clone specifically on new HP computers. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Somehow I doubt the failure of your clone has any to do with that. What is your exact process for performing the clone? What software are you using? And what model of HP is this not working on?

Thanks for the response, we have tried cloning with Acronis True Image as well as Macrium and doing the clone works fine it's when we try to boot after because the old computers drive was in AHCI and the new one is in "RAID" it won't boot without changing the boot settings from RAID to AHCI. Even like i said on other Manufactures I'm just able to go into the BIOS and change that setting but all the newer HPs I've come across you can't change that setting. I'm going to try and get an image of what it shows here in a minute and upload that if that will be of any help. And in terms of the model of HP it's been specifically with any HP that has a 12th gen intel CPU.

Reflect has a bootable USB that has tools to fix boot issues. Might try that. Other option is instead of cloneing you image onto a formated blank drive. The image will file restore using the existing partition.

Depending on the age of the old computers you were trying to clone from, you might have to just get data from the old computer to transfer to the new one.

Did the old machine have TPM enabled? What about the new one. I've seem to remember comments that if TPM and UEFI is not enabled the machine has very limited boot options. In other words they, HP, want them booting using TPM and UEFI.

Depending on the age of the old computers you were trying to clone from, you might have to just get data from the old computer to transfer to the new one.
Valid point. Old windows 10 systems are not going to have the drivers for a system designed for 11. Though Reflect has a generic driver that usually will boot up.

So, I got it to recognize the drive as a boot drive but now it just won't boot. Already tried using the Repair Windows Boot through Macrium with no luck. Don't think there is much more that i can try. Will most likely have to just transfer user data over on a fresh install of windows. Tried imaging it as well and no luck. As @Markverhyden was saying with the TPM and UEFI I think with the age of the older computer it just won't clone to something that is so new. It's just odd though, why HP would lockdown their BIOS to not be able to change certain settings. Haven't had this issue with Dell or any others it would just allow me to go in an change whatever settings i please. Actually, had someone with a brand-new dell desktop 12th gen intel come in for a clone and the old computer was a 4th gen intel i believe. New computer was a NVME drive and old was a mechanical. Did the clone and went into new computers bios changed SATA operation from RAID to AHCI. Even though the drive technically isn't in a raid configuration it is just being read through the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver which is a RAID controller. But changed that to AHCI and booted up no problem. Anyways thanks for the information and responses from everyone appreciate it.
Wont be recommending HPs from here on out lol.
Screenshot 2023-02-09 160349.png

Are you using the basic version of Macrium / Acronis? You will need for Acronis for sure to be running Workstation to be able to overcome what you are experiencing. Acronis Workstation with I think "Universal" add on will allow you to make an image (no clones) and restore to dissimiliar hardware.

Paragon also has a version that features this, which as a standalone product I prefer. It essentially allows you to create an image and restore it to different hardware. It will replace the device with generic drivers so that Windows can boot. Essentially with the Workstation/Pro class of disk imaging suites you don't get clones. You do images, which allow high granularity control over CRC, validation, e-mail alerts and more.

However, if you are moving an OS from a legacy system (As in CSM/BIOS) it gets more difficult. Yes, many OEM's do not give full BIOS/EFI access, it's beeen that way even since Vista. I recall some systems (Dell included) that would not allow VXt be enabled despite the CPU supporting it. It is what it is.

But as others have stated, unless you have legacy apps that you can't re-install, it is yes more work, but much better to migrate the old to the new. Cloning or image/restore will bring any issues that existed with the old system to the new one.

So, I got it to recognize the drive as a boot drive but now it just won't boot. Already tried using the Repair Windows Boot through Macrium with no luck. Don't think there is much more that i can try. Will most likely have to just transfer user data over on a fresh install of windows. Tried imaging it as well and no luck. As @Markverhyden was saying with the TPM and UEFI I think with the age of the older computer it just won't clone to something that is so new. It's just odd though, why HP would lockdown their BIOS to not be able to change certain settings. Haven't had this issue with Dell or any others it would just allow me to go in an change whatever settings i please. Actually, had someone with a brand-new dell desktop 12th gen intel come in for a clone and the old computer was a 4th gen intel i believe. New computer was a NVME drive and old was a mechanical. Did the clone and went into new computers bios changed SATA operation from RAID to AHCI. Even though the drive technically isn't in a raid configuration it is just being read through the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver which is a RAID controller. But changed that to AHCI and booted up no problem. Anyways thanks for the information and responses from everyone appreciate it.
Wont be recommending HPs from here on out lol.
View attachment 14262
It’s not a BIOS setting. It’s the chipset. The chipset doesn’t support the multiple modes that your older system did.

Also. ACHI is SATA. Newer systems don’t have SATA bus lines only the newer NVMe and are probably Adder Lake.

You don’t have the proper drivers so it can’t boot.

Back