Hp Probook 455 G9 brand new loose power adapter

lan101

Reaction score
A customer just got a brand new Hp Probook 455 G9 computer. Seems fine other than the power adapter feels loose. Like it won't "click in" It seems like the barrel is too long for the dc jack so it seems off to me. They didn't seem overly concerned about it, but I was just for the fact that they are only 1 year warranty's any more on the probooks.

If you unplug the power adapter and back in sometimes it's fine and sometimes it'll say "the power adapter is not functioning correctly" although I've read bios updates fix that. It seems to recognize it ok as long as you give it a firm push. I know if it were me I'd return the stupid thing but maybe all hp's are like this now lol.

Just wondered if anyone else has seen this with the probooks. I've noticed a lot of the newer junkier consumer laptops have the smaller barrel that seems like it fits looser but this might be the worst I've seen on that so far. I told them to let me know right away if it gives them fits. The good part is they mostly sit at a desk with it so the power cable probably won't get unplugged a whole lot.

Thank you for any insights.

If they just received it, literally, I'd kick it back upstairs to the seller.

Yeah it was purchased directly from HP. I suggested it but they wanted to "see how it goes" It was a very simple setup so they're running it now.

Also I wasn't sure how HP would approach it since technically it's working. A direct swap would be fine with me but never had a situation quite like this one yet.

The longer the time after purchase the harder it is to get an exchange. On this side of the pond it anywhere from 7 up to 30 days. After that it's a repair which means having no computer for a week or two.

Hopefully you've got a website, etc? If it was me I'd try to help the customer, have them call support. Then after getting through get me on the phone to talk to the remote tech. Sometimes the remote techs are more amenable when someone it talking the talk.

Sounds like they sent the wrong power adapter. Doesn’t sound like this is really a “new” pc. Referb? Open box? Not new.

It's definitely brand new directly from hp. I will double check the part numbers on the charger and see if it's the same one they shipped. Thank you.

Also I wasn't sure how HP would approach it since technically it's working. A direct swap would be fine with me but never had a situation quite like this one yet.
If it’s brand new you should not have to justify a reason. A we got it and don’t like the build quality is enough.

Back