[REQUEST] Searching for DVD Slim Drive for HP Gaming PC

Appletax

Reaction score
Got an HP Pavilion 690-0010 gaming desktop that needs a new CD/DVD Reader/Writer slim drive with the proper front cover as it's broke.

The part number is 849055-6c5. Searching this part number gives me various results with different front covers.

Not sure what to get.

The closest match I've thus far found is this.

It's from a different computer, but it might work.

Edit: probably doesn't have the right front cover.

Why must it be so difficult to find what I need?

Edit 2: tried using the slim drive I have in an HP EliteDesk, but it's too thick and won't fit through the hole. It has a generic front cover, which would probably work fine.

Last edited:
Looks to be a bunch of those drives (with various bezel covers), on ebay:

Otherwise, the model# you gave is for the Drive itself, 849055-6c5.
The Bezel has a different model# (L15778-001) and is available at HP Partsurfer:

1681921890628.png

The Bezel has a different model# (L15778-001) and is available at HP Partsurfer:

View attachment 14513
This. Historically tray load laptop optical drives have always had the bezel as a separate part. They'll only deploy a handful of drive models across their entire portable product line. To be sure go to partsurfer and plug in the serial number.

tried using the slim drive I have in an HP EliteDesk, but it's too thick and won't fit through the hole. It has a generic front cover, which would probably work fine.
There are two different heights for slim DVD drives. From memory the slimmer one is 9.5mm, others are 12mm (used in older laptops and some desktops).

I've had the same problem recently doing a custom build in a generic SFF case (In Win brand) that had a slim DVD drive bay. I assumed it would come with the front cover suitable for the case but it didn't :mad:

I couldn't find a suitable front cover for the drive, so I purchased a generic slim DVD drive that came with a generic cover and it turned out to be the wrong thickness (12mm, wasn't mentioned in the listing) and had to order another one that specifically said 9.5mm. The generic cover that it came with worked fine for the generic SFF case I was using.

Looks to be a bunch of those drives (with various bezel covers), on ebay:

View attachment 14513

Wow, fifty dollars!

This. Historically tray load laptop optical drives have always had the bezel as a separate part. They'll only deploy a handful of drive models across their entire portable product line. To be sure go to partsurfer and plug in the serial number.

Today I learned.

There are two different heights for slim DVD drives. From memory the slimmer one is 9.5mm, others are 12mm (used in older laptops and some desktops).

I've had the same problem recently doing a custom build in a generic SFF case (In Win brand) that had a slim DVD drive bay. I assumed it would come with the front cover suitable for the case but it didn't :mad:

I couldn't find a suitable front cover for the drive, so I purchased a generic slim DVD drive that came with a generic cover and it turned out to be the wrong thickness (12mm, wasn't mentioned in the listing) and had to order another one that specifically said 9.5mm. The generic cover that it came with worked fine for the generic SFF case I was using.

I am going to try a generic 9.5mm unit. The bezel on it should be fine.

Back