Microsoft Windows XP - W32Time error

frederick

Reaction score
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Dell Dimension 2400

Customer brings in the computer, its old, it acts old, it works...old...We've had it for about a week. Here are the issues with the desktop as per what he said were the issues, and what we did:

1) Crashes after 10 minutes (fixed, stopped doing it after we removed all the malware)
2) Choppy, slow, little laggy (fixed, deleted some 40GB off this thing)
3) Has internet connection, doesn't connect though (fixed, bad jack)
4) Regardless of what is done, maintains the correct time for 5 minutes, then resets to 12:00 Am, counts to five minutes, resets to midnight... (not fixed and is my current problem)

Customer gave me the computer a week ago, he gets back in town next week. He would like for the time to be corrected. We already replaced the CMOS battery (cause it was dead), but about every...49152 seconds we get this:

ID: 36, Source W32Time The time service has not been able to synchronize the system for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

We checked who it gets the time from, time.windows.com. Now, all our other computers use this, to include the two windows xp systems we have, and not a single problem with them. It's not the CMOS battery, that's been replaced with a known good. BIOS reports the correct time. He reports it started about a month ago, event logs confirm this.

Before you say "junk it", and while I agree with this, he wants to keep this computer. He even made us upgrade the RAM from 1GB to 4GB (why? i dont freaking know)

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.4GHz
Dell 0C2425 Motherboard
Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS v1.10 A05
Windows XP Pro x64 SP3

Other than the RAM, all original, components. And since this problem existed before the RAM upgrade, I'm leaving out most of the Hardware of this thing as they could be completely irrelevant...

So far, I've cloned the Hard Drive, tested original, it's doing great for being 5 years old (clone does the same thing). Removed malware with Malwarebytes (original install 8 months ago, updated now), and also used JRT and AdwCleaner (post issue, obviously), and McAfee (original install 8 months ago, updated now). Deleted and uninstalled 40GB of games, movies, music, crapware, grayware. Updated Java 6 update 45 to current, IE7 to IE8, Adobe 9 to 11, updated flash and air as well. Removed AVG 2012, AVG PC Tuneup, all the Apple crap, ask toolbar, google toolbar, avg toolbar, and a million other toolbars. Windows Updates are current.

I've cruised the internets for this issue, nothing. All we found, that we thought would help is the hot fix for this issue, which...didn't work.

Microsoft is clueless
"uh...did you make sure it has an internet connection?"
"I'm on google right now, cruising away"
"on the computer that's having the issue?"
"no, your mothers computer, should I tell her you said hi?"

I'm at a loss here guys. There are no other windows errors (system or application). We've done an amazing J-O-B of fixing this thing, to where we no longer get anything other than this error, OR something about how something started amazingly. I've never had a problem like this, and no one else here (shop) has seen this either.

EDIT: We left the computer on for 3 days, and the error still populated, and the time wont stick

finally dell answers

Dell sent us a message, and my tech talked to their tech. They came to the conclusion to replace the CPU and try that. While this didn't fix the Win32 Time error, it didn't fix our clock issue. We swapped the CPU out using one of our XP machines, and now the computer holds time. I talked to my tech, and he said he could barely understand the Dell tech, but he understood him enough to give me this brief of their conversation:

"The clock on the CPU don't work. Replace the CPU and you can keep time again."

Well, it worked. Now for the Win32Time error we are still getting. Ideas? We got tell tuesday.

Open a command prompt and type:

net stop w32time [enter]
w32tm /unregister [enter]
w32tm /register [enter]
net start w32time [enter]

Open a command prompt and type:

net stop w32time [enter]
w32tm /unregister [enter]
w32tm /register [enter]
net start w32time [enter]

That actually worked. I guess because we got wrapped so far on to the whole clock resets every 5 minutes we didn't think to try that after replacing the CPU. Thank you!

no problem.. sometimes we get so involved that we forget or overlook the simple things :D

I see Dell PCs all needs its own chipset driver to help with the mobo integrity.

Why not try install the latest chipset driver and follow a reboot for the new chipset to take effect.

Just wonder the last clone of the OS erased all HDD partitions including the hidden system partition as well?

If so, please try to get the HDD back to its own factory images.

Also, I would suggest checking any semi faulty and damaged capacitory near the Bios clock.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc.:)

Back