iMAC-can't get Mountain Lion to install-SOLVED

Doc+Com

Reaction score
I got a late 2009 21" iMac in a few days ago, the customer was complaining of being unable to install the 10.6.8 combo update (10.6.3 was installed) and everything working slow.
The update is pending and appears to download and attempts to reinstall but fails saying that the system needs to be rebooted to repair the drive. This leads to a 'boot loop' scenario which led to me using a 10.6.3 M/Lion disk to run Disk utility and repair the drive.
Re-attempts at installing the update leads to the same result.
I pull the hard drive and take an image, I read smart (no issues) and run a surface test on the drive (no issues).
After consulting with my client, I fully erase the drive, partition (1 part, GUID) and format 'extended-Journaled' to do a clean install using the 10.6.3 disk. The install runs until is shows 29% and then stops saying that the installation failed "The installer could not copy the necessary support files".
I formatted/partitioned a new hard drive and tried the installation again with the same result. I know this is sounding like a bad OSX DVD or drive cable but I bought the DVD back in 2004 from Apple and have probably used it 3 times since then...so it could still be bad...but!
I've also read online about others having similar issues and tried another disk (even a USB install) without success...but also without a solution to the issue.
I really would like to know if anyone has had an experience like this or know of anything I may have missed before I go throwing parts at this at my client's expense...I don't get enough Macs to obtain much a real knowledge base.

Is there a reason you're fooling around with such old software? He won't be able to run any modern browsers on that thing. I think most vendors don't support anything older than 10.9 Mavericks. You can install macOS Sierra on it, which is the latest.

https://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/system-requirements-for-macos-sierra/

I'm more inquisitive about what would cause an issue like this than I am getting the repair done and out the door. My client isn't too worried about the machine as "its a backup" that her daughter uses. I've so far searched without a solution and that's driving me for an answer...gotta build on the knowledge base!

Have you tested the RAM?

No I haven't but I did read that it could cause issues with installs, although I find it difficult to believe it would cause the error at the same point each time I attempt the install....but I'm definitely no expert in the field of Macs so I'll ad this to the list of things to try.

how did you test the HD exactly?

I would suspect RAM or HD. Your media likely isn't the problem, but maybe the optical disk drive is a bit flaky (?) Try with a USB DVD drive. I would also ensure that you install the EFI updates for that system before doing the upgrade (sounds like that may be too late?).

If you want to know for sure, put in a new blank hard drive, format it, and then run the internet recovery. That should rule everything else out yes? I'm thinking you may have one of those sob apple issues that may be too far gone to repair, nuke an pave my friend. I spent hours not to long ago on a mac and it just ended up pissing me off and I did a nuke and pave.
Did you go a time machine backup when the system was up and running? If so do the first part, start the recovery partiton and recover from the backup.
No I haven't been too happy with some certain Macs in my office lately lol;)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5524740?tstart=0

If the machine shipped with OS X 10.6, you need the installation media that came with it: gray installation discs, or a USB flash drive for some MacBook Air models. If you don't have the media, order replacements from Apple. A retail disc, or the gray discs from another model, will not work.

To boot from an optical disc or a flash drive, insert it, then reboot and hold down the C key at the startup chime. Release the key when you see the gray Apple logo on the screen.

If the machine shipped with OS X 10.7 or later, you don't need media. It should boot into Internet Recovery mode when you hold down the key combination option-command-R at the startup chime. Release the keys when you see a spinning globe.

Specs for the machine: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP576?locale=en_US

Based on that, the machine will not support Internet Recovery. If the 10.6.x media you have is a retail version, it may or may not work, as some systems shipped with specific versions. So, as an example, it looks like this unit shipped with 10.6, which would have included specific system enablers and code for that model to function. Unless your 10.6.x disc is a later release as in 10.6.8, it may not work.

If you have access to a Mac that has App Store you can try and download an older version of Mac OS X (if already purchased). I have purchased previous versions from Lion to El Capitan so I can download any version to test. From there there are apps that will make a USB installer.

For that vintage of Mac I wouldn't go higher than 10.7 or 10.8 and be sure to upgrade the RAM, if you want decent performance.

how did you test the HD exactly?

I would suspect RAM or HD. Your media likely isn't the problem, but maybe the optical disk drive is a bit flaky (?) Try with a USB DVD drive. I would also ensure that you install the EFI updates for that system before doing the upgrade (sounds like that may be too late?).

As I said in the OP I swapped to a new HD to eradicate the possibility of an HD problem...same results. I also omitted to mention (Note to self.....stop posting late at night!) that I did make attempts from an external USB DVD drive....same results.
I intend to run tests on RAM today and also might put the image back on to the original drive so that I can see about "EFI updates".
Thanks for the input.

I see the problem! You can't install Mountain Lion with a 10.6 disc. j/k, but seriously, you are actually trying to install Snow Leopard, right? @NviGate Systems has a valid point, a large number of system shipped with 10.6 won't install with the 10.6 disc you got from Apple, however, I I feel like I remember you wouldn't get that far into the installation. (can't quite remember) Definitely worth checking what version that iMac shipped with.

If you want to know for sure, put in a new blank hard drive, format it, and then run the internet recovery. That should rule everything else out yes? I'm thinking you may have one of those sob apple issues that may be too far gone to repair, nuke an pave my friend. I spent hours not to long ago on a mac and it just ended up pissing me off and I did a nuke and pave.
Did you go a time machine backup when the system was up and running? If so do the first part, start the recovery partiton and recover from the backup.
No I haven't been too happy with some certain Macs in my office lately lol;)
I see the problem! You can't install Mountain Lion with a 10.6 disc. j/k, but seriously, you are actually trying to install Snow Leopard, right? @NviGate Systems has a valid point, a large number of system shipped with 10.6 won't install with the 10.6 disc you got from Apple, however, I I feel like I remember you wouldn't get that far into the installation. (can't quite remember) Definitely worth checking what version that iMac shipped with.

From 'Everymac' the system came pre-installed with 10.6.1 and so from my limited experience, there shouldn't be a problem installing 10.6.3 clean on a new HD and I'm with you that I've had systems baulk at initiating the install if you have the wrong OSX version installer but this system gets around 30% into the install before announcing the installation failed.
Right know, I'd settle for running OSX 'anything' so not sure where this will end up.

If you disk is a retail SL then it will install on any machine that came with SL, which the subject machine should have some with. By USB install do you mean you also tried installing to a USB HD? It is possible there may be an issue with the media, I'd try burning a copy of it and see what happens using that one. Just for grins, have your tried loading W7 on it?

If you disk is a retail SL then it will install on any machine that came with SL, which the subject machine should have some with. By USB install do you mean you also tried installing to a USB HD? It is possible there may be an issue with the media, I'd try burning a copy of it and see what happens using that one. Just for grins, have your tried loading W7 on it?

Disk is retail SL 10.6.3.
I actually meant that I used an external DVD drive connected to a USB port on the iMac to run the installation from. The point at the time was to eradicate the internal optical drive as a cause of the problem.
I guess I could connect the new HD to a USB port and attempt to install to it and in that way I would remove the HD cable as a possible cause...right?

Yep. Cable problems are rare but they do happen. That's another great thing about Apple's. You can install the OS on external drives.

Yep. Cable problems are rare but they do happen. That's another great thing about Apple's. You can install the OS on external drives.

Man I miss working on Macs, it makes troubleshooting so simple. I miss being able to reload a computer without the customer noticing a difference.

I tried installing 10.6.3 to an external Mac laptop HD connected to the iMac that had been erased (zeros written), formatted/partitioned and got the same results.
I'm going to try burning a copy of the disk to see if I get any errors.

Usually you can install the os on another computer, then just slap that hdd into the iMac and it will still work fine.

Really starting to sound like bunk install media. Do you have a Zalman VE or IODD device? I have an iso file for one of the 10.6 flavors I keep on mine to install and never have problems. I could send you it, but you need the "disk drive" emulation from the Zalman VE or IODD device for it to work.

Reactions: CLC
Usually you can install the os on another computer, then just slap that hdd into the iMac and it will still work fine.

Really starting to sound like bunk install media. Do you have a Zalman VE or IODD device? I have an iso file for one of the 10.6 flavors I keep on mine to install and never have problems. I could send you it, but you need the "disk drive" emulation from the Zalman VE or IODD device for it to work.

Yes, I have an IODD and so that would be great if I could get the file from you, thanks!

I tried installing 10.6.3 to an external Mac laptop HD connected to the iMac that had been erased (zeros written), formatted/partitioned and got the same results.
I'm going to try burning a copy of the disk to see if I get any errors.

Make sure to try loading a copy of Linux or W7 on the original iMac to see if it will boot.

Man I miss working on Macs, it makes troubleshooting so simple. I miss being able to reload a computer without the customer noticing a difference.

Yeah, so much easier. I remember when M$ started all of this registry stuff. No more just running a refresh to get things going.

Back