IE being removed from Win 10 20H2 and later, effective June 15th 2022

I agree, it's nuts that IE is still a part of Windows. However, have you ever tried uninstalling IE and found that some programs that depend on it (and not things you would expect) won't run? I know I have, although the last time was over a year ago. Hopefully this won't trigger a whole set of unintended consequences. But if it does - money in the bank . . .

Last edited:
I agree, it's nuts that IE is still a part of Windows. However, have you ever tried uninstalling IE and found that some programs that depend on (and not things you would expect) it won't run? I know I have, although the last time was over a year ago. Hopefully this won't trigger a whole set of unintended consequences. But if it does - money in the bank . . .
That's on these damn software vendors. They need to get with the times.

I agree, it's nuts that IE is still a part of Windows. However, have you ever tried uninstalling IE and found that some programs that depend on (and not things you would expect) it won't run? I know I have, although the last time was over a year ago. Hopefully this won't trigger a whole set of unintended consequences. But if it does - money in the bank . . .
There's a number of my customers with situations like that. It'll be nice to push it off on others.

The problem is a lot of those software vendors aren't around anymore. They were one hit wonders who faded away and their customers have been using the apps unsupported.
Well that's more on the customer. But I find far more issues with current "supported" and developed software. Like Quickbooks still using Internet Explorer.

No doubt some enterprising programmer will come up with "IE Lite" or something to install and mimic those days of old for compatibility reasons.

They were one hit wonders who faded away and their customers have been using the apps unsupported.

And that means they'll have to transition to something else, which they really should have done before their hands were forced.

I just don't know how any business (in particular) can even consider using out-of-support software over the long term. It's a disaster just waiting to happen. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later, but it comes.

Maybe someone will make a portable version of Ie? I used to have a version which Rogers used in Canada for all the Kiosks, it was fun to have. I'm sure the DLL and other items could be installed, but then that's just inviting more trouble when a malware that looks for compromised files etc.

A portable version that is sandboxed is good, at least those who need it for certain access sites etc., could use it.

ActiveX is what Internet Explorer provided that others didn't. Even Quickbooks needed it until recently. ActiveX became unsupported as of August of last year. I haven't seen anything in a couple of years requiring ActiveX. Has anyone else?

why would any "certain sites" continue to allow access only by an out-of-support web browser.

As mentioned above because IE was/is the only browser that supported ActiveX in latter years and many sites would rather just "call" the browser of their choice rather than the effort of redesigning their site.

Oh this will be fun. I'm appalled at how many web portals for business types that you assume "should be secured"...such as healthcare, financial, etc....STILL REQUIRE Internet Exploader! They don't work in Chrome(*), or Firefox, or Opera, or Edge, or ....or...nope, they only work in IE.

And no..."Internet Explorer Mode" in Edge will not work for....oh, I bet >50% of those sites.

So we're bound to get calls that IE is gone, and they need it back.

As mentioned above because IE was/is the only browser that supported ActiveX in latter years and many sites would rather just "call" the browser of their choice rather than the effort of redesigning their site.

And their preferences, much like mine as an individual user, don't mean diddly squat. Anyone in this business knows that, and development houses in particular.

I understand the underlying motivation (laziness and preventing undue expense), but the time to **** or get off the pot has arrived. They've got one choice if they wish to continue on: redesign.

And that choice is likely to recur at some point in the indeterminate future. It's the nature of this beast if you want to continue being viable.

Calyx Point... right now... uses Active X to install...

You must use IE to install it as a result. I'm overjoyed at this news, because they're FINALLY going to have to fix that stupid installer.

Sadly, I got a little too excited with this news, because there's an IE mode of Edge that's still there, and will be around for sometime yet. But it looks like you need Group Policy to configure it... which means registry hacks to enable specific sites to be insecure. So pretty much a security wash... unless ActiveX is finally dead because it can't get out of the sandbox... need to read some more.

Called Calyx Support, they "claim" they're adapting there installation process to be browser agnostic and are already making changes to that effect. I told them, you have until the end of the year, if we get into 2022 and this crap is still IE dependent we're moving to a competitors product.

They just took over a month past a massive legal change in paperwork to get us the updated forms... So I'm in full on business integrity mode because this company has a documented history of taking too long for simple changes, much less something like this.

Last edited:
So we're bound to get calls that IE is gone, and they need it back.

I agree that we'll get calls. I certainly won't lift a finger to put it back. Those clients should raise holy hades with the places that don't work with all modern browsers, that rely on IE, that were not abandonware.

If the site itself is abandonware, then you're merde out of luck.

Right now the one, and only, thing that individuals and entities should be doing is making the necessary transition plans.

As the old saw goes, "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." Everyone knows what needs to be done, and if the end user and/or the software makers don't do it, they'll pay the price, and should. A year's warning is not "short notice," and particularly for something like this.

Yep, but those are calls I can handle. What I'm sick of is, our entire network is down WTF?!?

Because some idiot went to a site he shouldn't have in IE and gave up the castle. UAC means jack in the face of the bugs in that mess of a browser!

Back