IE 10 stopping, Sorry for the LONG post

B Trevathan

Reaction score
I've got a problem with IE 10 stopping, does anybody have any ideas how I can fix this? I would really like to get IE going again the woman that owns the computer is almost completely disabled and just about all she can do is use this computer, she has pictures everywhere in it. Below is more details about the problem and the things I've tried.

Computer: eMachines EL1852G-52w

Internet Explorer 10
Version: 10.0.9200.16521
Update Versions: RTM(KB2718695)

1. When clicking on a links on the desktop like to get her Yahoo mail IE will open but will not do anything and no URL will be in the address bar and the page tab is blank.

2. Clicking on the IE link on the taskbar or in the Start menu and IE will open then it shows the message Internet Explorer has stopped working and will have to close.

3. I tried running Internet Explorer without addons, same problems but when you click the close button in the has stopped working message it doesn't close IE but another IE has stopped working message appears, to stop this you have to close IE and then click the close button in the message.

4. I made a test html page and put it on the desktop and it loaded fine.

5. I have deleted all the history, cookies, etc.

6. I have reset Internet Explorer, same problems

7. I was running Autoruns and I notice it was showing two files missing under:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\active setup\installed components
Internet Explorer No file found

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\
Internet Explorer No file found

I think there is supposed to be a IE pre-user initialization utility program here, but I'm not sure.

8. I tried installing Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 64 bit over top of the installed IE 10 and got this message:
Windows Internet Explorer 10
Internet Explorer did not finish installing.
Setup can't continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer.

9. I went and turned Internet Explorer off in Windows features, it removed IE and I rebooted and then I turned IE back on in Windows features but still have the same problem.

10. I then went again and turned Internet Explorer off in Windows features, it removed IE and I rebooted and tried installing Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 64 bit but I got the same message again:
Windows Internet Explorer 10
Internet Explorer did not finish installing.
Setup can't continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer.

11. She had a lot of junk on this computer that I removed/stopped. She did have a family member helping her but she said they gave up because she clicks on everything.

She is running MSSE and I found parts of Norton and AVG so I ran the Norton removal tool and the AVG removal tool.

She had running (Sorry for the long list but I like removing malware and I thought it was interesting she had all this stuff and more installed):
Optimizer Pro Performance Monitor
Driver Preformer
DriverScaner
PC Preformer
Advanced System Protector
MyPC Backup
BrowserProtect
StrongVaultApp
24x7 Help
Hardware Helper
PC Fix Speed
SparkTrust PC Cleaner Plus
RegCure Pro
TuneUp360
Updater Service
TidyNetwork
RegWork
FileScout
FastAgain PC Booster
CleanMYPC Popup Blocker
SpeedyPC Software
Browse for Change
CouponPrinter for Windows
Coupon Savings
Funmoods
DealPly
DefaultTab
FilesOpened
GetSavin
InfoAtoms
QuickShare
Search Protect by conduit
Search.us.com
Sendori
Shop To Win
Shopping Sidekick Plugin
SpecialSavings
Wajam
ZD Manager
Yontoo

And toolbars:
Claro Chome Toolbar
Claro toolbar
InternetHelper3 Toolbar
MixiDJ Toolbar
WhiteSmoke New Toolbar
Yahoo Toolbar
AOL Toolbar
Ask Tool bar

Process Explorer and Autoruns looks a lot better now. Programs like MSSE, MBAM, SAS, TDSS, etc. are all coming up clean on complete scans.

There are a few other little problems but I can't seem to fix this IE problem. Thanks for any help.

That's a crazy amount of malware/junk :eek:

My opinion on those anymore is just save data/format. That's just way too much I think, and there's no way the performance of that could be as good as a fresh install.

I think the only way I wouldn't is if some old programs/something that would be hard to get back to the way it was.

Autofabs has been great for this picky folks.

:eek::eek::eek:
Nuke and Pave. I wouldn't bother wasting anymore time on it.
Don't forget... image the drive AND do a Fabs Autobackup.
Just for curiosity, have you tried a new user profile?

Yes N&P defo! But if you haven't yet, you mention that the test HTML did not show the error message? So issue happens only when the customer transfers data? Have you tested any other browser? See how it behaves? Also system restore IE back to a previous version? Altough you may have to remove all that malware again.

Since the programs I listed above are no longer a factor and almost everything is working correctly I believe I will hold off on a N&P.

Removing malware really doesn't take me very long, I just see something that shouldn't be there and I stop it and then I remove it.

I'm not going to put much time into it, because one of the first thing she said was that she can get a new computer for 200 and she was complaining about how she called the eMachine support line and them charging 39.95 for 30 minutes.

The only restore points are the ones that I made.

IE doesn't stop in the admin account. If I can't find a fix my plan then is to introduce her to Firefox. Chrome is also install in the admin account. If she has to use IE at any time I will show her how to right click on it and run as admin.

Maybe I skimmed over it, but have you tried running IE with no Ad-Ons enabled?

I had a client that had a similar problem. I ran with Ad-Ons disabled and the browser worked. Then I systematically enabled them one-by-one to find the culprit. Was some Unfriender things from facebook causing the problem.

Run combofix then adwcleaner then jrt from bleeping computers that should clean up the machine and remove any spyware from IE10.
If that fails to fix the browser problem then uninstall ie10 and then re-install.

Last edited:
Thats what I hate about microsofts stuff, the extent of registry entries and the way that installers will stop working if certain entries are incorrect.

Maybe I skimmed over it, but have you tried running IE with no Ad-Ons enabled?
Yes I did, thanks.

I tried running Internet Explorer without addons, same problems but when you click the close button in the has stopped working message it doesn't close IE but another IE has stopped working message appears, to stop this you have to close IE and then click the close button in the message.

Nothing to see here just some filler text.

Run combofix then adwcleaner then jrt from bleeping computers that should clean up the machine and remove any spyware from IE10.
If that fails to fix the browser problem then uninstall ie10 and then re-install.
I've run ADWCleaner.

I don't know about running Combofix, in the past I've had it cause more problems than it would fix, so now I rarely run it, most of the time I run it as a last resort if I'm worried about the malware but in this case I don't think remaining malware is the problem now.

I don't think I've heard of JRT. I ran it but it didn't fix the problem, it did find 1 registry value and 8 files named eula.nnnn.txt all had different numbers where I have n's in the name and it also found 9 files named install.res.nnnn.dll and they also had different numbers where the n's are.

One thing that JRT also did though was after it did its scan I tried opening IE before I did a reboot and IE loaded, but after I rebooted then IE would stop working again. So this means there is a conflict with something and it means that IE is installed correctly. But I don't know what all JRT stopped during its scan.

Thanks

I've taken the computer back and the owner is really pleased with it. I showed her how to use Firefox and how to start up IE if she had to. When I first hooked it up it would not connect to the internet so I started going through it and found it wouldn't accept her username and passwords that she was giving me so I contacted ATT to get the username and passwords and the owner starts telling me about all the girls (home health I guess, she is disabled) that have come to help her and that they all have tried to fix the computer and also that she had the modem replaced two weeks ago. What a mess but at least its working good now except IE and she is pleased and she promised she would call me first next time.....

I was telling the tech with ATT about my issue with IE and she said they are recommending to uninstall IE 10 and to install IE 8. She said they have had a lot of people having problems with IE 10, I asked her why 8 and not 9 and she said you can try IE 9 but they are recommending IE 8 because they get so many calls about problems with 10 and also 9. So I guess it is a conflict maybe IE 10 should only be installed on windoze 8??

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Back