I HATE Windows 10 "Apps"

The APU isn't a replacement for a GPU

While I do get what you're saying, I'd say that in the vast majority of common uses the APU is the perfect replacement for a GPU.

Unless you're doing something graphics intensive, constantly, and in realtime a GPU is generally overkill. And gamers would count as graphics intensive, constantly, and in realtime while offices where MS-Word, Excel, etc., predominate have no real need for a GPU, ever.

While I do get what you're saying, I'd say that in the vast majority of common uses the APU is the perfect replacement for a GPU.

Unless you're doing something graphics intensive, constantly, and in realtime a GPU is generally overkill. And gamers would count as graphics intensive, constantly, and in realtime while offices where MS-Word, Excel, etc., predominate have no real need for a GPU, ever.
Normal business class users and even typical home users that aren't gaming are OK with anything integrated. They don't need the power of the APU even. I use the APUs for gamers and similar work loads on budgets that will not or cannot pay for the current inflated GPUs.

I've removed many dedicated graphics cards from office workstations where the motherboard supports onboard graphics.
I don't replace them when they fail either unless there is no onboard graphics.
It saves a small amount of electricity, generates less heat and therefore reduces fan noise etc which contributes to the energy savings as well as lowering stress levels for those having to hear the fans screaming, especially in our hot summers.

99.9% of the businesses I support that still have desktop PC's (bookkeepers, accountants, building supplier, retail shops, hair salons etc) have no need for anything other than the onboard Intel or AMD graphics.

From a UI standpoint, Mail and Calendar are very nice. They do everything a normal user would ever need to do and they support all the modern email protocols. Since I made my original post, half the computers that had this crashing issue have magically fixed themselves and the other half have sh*t the bed. I have 10x computers running in my house at all times so I just remote into one that isn't trashed to check or add to my calendar or check my email. I wonder what the actual problem is? God, I miss win32 programs. They just worked, and when they didn't they could easily be troubleshooted or reinstalled. I wish Microsoft would just admit defeat with these stupid apps. They FINALLY got rid of live tiles after 9 freaking years of abusing their users. Just give people what they want - simple, stable software that just works, not Microsoft accounts, cloud BS, or spying.

You really do sound like an ill-informed user on a rant. And for someone who claims to be an IT professional, that's just plain sad.
Yeah, yeah. Back when we were using Windows 7 we were basically cavemen. There was nothing wrong with not having to have a Microsoft account or having to use stupid "apps" that crash all the time. I'm not saying that all win32 programs are good. Outlook is freaking TERRIBLE and always has been, both the UI and the stability. When these new "apps" crash FAR more frequently and have FAR more problems than win32 programs ever did, there's a freaking underlying problem that's obviously too difficult/expensive for Microsoft to address. They need to go back to the drawing board.

Well, as is so often the case, your experience with the world is at great odds with that of most others. You might want to think about why that is.

Well, as is so often the case, your experience with the world is at great odds with that of most others. You might want to think about why that is.
Most people don't use these apps. The only "app" most people use is the Settings "app," which crashes far more often than Control Panel ever has in its 25+ year history. Thankfully when the Settings app crashes you can just close it and click it again and it opens right back up, but that usually doesn't work with other apps. Even the Photos "app" is a buggy piece of crap, but you need it in order to view pictures. I've tried other picture viewers and from a UI standpoint they all suck. The Windows 7 one which you can get back via the registry is okay, but it's severely dated and no longer officially supported.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that a program actually open when you click on it.

EDIT: Oh, or how about fixing the issue where the live tiles don't work on a fresh install of Windows 10? If you just let the thing sit there and update, they'll show up about 30% of the time. In the other 70% of cases you have to make a new account or reinstall Windows. It doesn't matter how long you wait, even DAYS. The live tiles will NEVER work under that account for some reason. It's been this way since the beginning.

Last edited:
The only "app" most people use is the Settings "app," which crashes far more often than Control Panel ever has in its 25+ year history.

Again, your experience is at odds with what most of us have experienced. I think I've had a single hang up in Settings since 2015. I continue to have occasional hang ups in Control Panel, too. In the case of both, hangs and crashes are very few and far between on a correctly functioning, stable Windows 10 system.

I also know many home users that use the Mail App and the People App for contacts.

Windows 10, overall, has been far more stable than any version of WIndows before it. And that's not just my opinion.

You have a skewed view, and simply will not let anything change it. That's your problem, not Microsoft's.

I thought that was just me......

And, it's funny, but because I hate live tiles for me it would be a feature, not a bug. But I get why, in actuality, it is a bug if something isn't working as promised.

But if the issue cannot be reliably replicated, that complicates fixing it, and from what's been said here so far it seems to be an odd edge case.

Just yesterday had to fix a client's machines (two of them) because Universal/Metro apps not working.

I think it goes like this: If it works good, then it's fine and dandy. When it breaks it's Hiroshima. Tada.

Back