Hosting service bought out, becoming small nightmare.

Choppie

Reaction score
Hello guys,

My problem is multi-leveled, and this post here is regarding the tale end issue which is really no longer relevant because I'm moving away from this hosting service, but it's still a problem now, and starting to fester into a larger problem.

Long story shortened;

The support service over the 11 years I have been with Host Excellence has been awesome! Never down, and when I needed help upgrading a PHP version so a self hosted program would install, they picked up the phone in no less than 4 rings--always and had the issue corrected in minutes, if not seconds! Well that went down hill fast in the last year. They failed to update a CERT on one of my clients websites, which brought the site DOWN. I paid for the CERT renewal a week prior to it expiring, and they still failed to install it or update it. Then forced me to submit a ticket when I had them on the phone, the ticket sat there a week! This is the reason I decided to dump them and move.

I got off track.

So now, I'm having issues accessing my email on the old hosting service and they have been moving things for months now. Below is an email I received from them (3/28/2018), and when I try logging into the CP I still see the message,

EMAIL received 3/28/2018
=============================
Hello,

We recently informed you that your domains would be migrated to Site5 and are now happy to announce that this transition will happen over the next couple of weeks. Once the transition is complete, you will enjoy faster, more modern servers, increased network security, and a wide variety of products and services to help you build and grow their online presence. Don’t worry, your data and settings will stay the same.

Some important changes for your account:

Dedicated IPs will not be included by default in your new plan. If you require one or more dedicated IPs, they must be purchased as add on products from your new Verio control panel after migration.

Once complete, your Site 5 login page will show you how to log in to your new Site5 control panel and the Site5 Terms of Service will apply to your account and use of Site5’s services. The Site5 Terms of Service can be viewed here: https://www.site5.com/legal/. All of your products, settings, and content - plus a lot more! - should be there ready for you.

If you haven’t yet, this is a great time to check out the transition site at http://transition-to-site5.com. We’ll keep that site up to date with the latest news and information as the transition occurs.

Thank you,
The Site5 Team
==========================

Here is the message that pops up when I log into my host excellence hosting account still today! NOTE this is almost 4 months later!
"Hello,

Your account is in the process of being migrated, please see your email for more detailed information"
Question for you guys,
Has anyone every seen anything so ridiculous! I know its a question but I put the exclamation mark there anyway....

I think they are making SOME progress though because when I set up an email account in thunderbird to access an account on that server, it actually let me set up SSL/TLS settings, which I didn't have before HOWEVER the many connections thunderbird was making got my IP address black listed and i cant connect using a desktop app now, until I get white listed.....my trouble ticket has been open for a week now...

I'm so done with this.

I can't wait for the day when there is fiber every where and you can setup CentOS on a home box and run your own web server with a few mouse clicks....

Thanks guys
Choppie

I think they are making SOME progress though because when I set up an email account in thunderbird to access an account on that server, it actually let me set up SSL/TLS settings, which I didn't have before HOWEVER the many connections thunderbird was making got my IP address black listed and i cant connect using a desktop app now, until I get white listed.....my trouble ticket has been open for a week now...

Would be for failed connection attempts, doesnt the old/new server have a host name with a shared SSL that you can use in the meantime? that is pretty ridiculous to take that long.

Edit: I gave up on finding a web host long ago, ive had my knownhost vps for many years now and I will probably never leave.

Would be for failed connection attempts, doesnt the new server have a host name with a shared SSL that you can use in the meantime? that is pretty ridiculous to take that long.

Well, at this time, I don't have access to any of that information. This same issue happened on my new hosting service and they whit listed my ip in seconds, saying thunderbird will send out dozens of requests if you have many many email accounts set up in thunderbird, which I do. Its a catch22 when setting them up, each one will have settings auto set to check mail when you launch thunderbird...they all have to be shut off after you set up each account....

Back