Dell Inspiron 3520 Hard Drive—Not Installed error

earguy

Reaction score
I have a client who dropped his Dell Inspiron 3520 laptop and now it won't boot into Windows 8. When you power it up the HDD makes a noise (like the hard drive is straining to work) for a short while and then you get a message:

"internal hard disk drive not found, to resolve this issue try to reseat the drive"

I did reseat the drive and the problem still persists. I entered ePSA and ran diagnostic and the HDD is not detected. I assume, then, that the HDD has been damaged and is irreparable. Unless someone in here has another idea, I am going to suggest installing a new HDD and install the OS. My other "dumb" question is, will the client have to purchase a new Windows 8 license to install on the new HDD?

As usual, I appreciate everyone's input and thanks.

If hard drive is grinding most likely failed. Assuming the motherboard is OK, should not need to purchase a license. The keys are supposed to be built into the bios. If it was windows 8 you can actually install Windows 8.1 with a generic key and use a key reader to read the key from the bios, and then activate the windows 8.1 install with that key.

Do some searching but I think there are some guides on the forums that show how to do this.

Yes, the hard drive needs to be replaced. Install Windows 8.1 with this generic key:

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

Once installed, you can use Produkey from www.nirsoft.net to pull the BIOS key and activate Windows.

Since the system was dropped, a thorough diagnostic and visual inspection would also be a good idea to cover your butt, if you haven't already.

If hard drive is grinding most likely failed. Assuming the motherboard is OK, should not need to purchase a license. The keys are supposed to be built into the bios. If it was windows 8 you can actually install Windows 8.1 with a generic key and use a key reader to read the key from the bios, and then activate the windows 8.1 install with that key.

Do some searching but I think there are some guides on the forums that show how to do this.
Thanks.

Yes, the hard drive needs to be replaced. Install Windows 8.1 with this generic key:

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

Once installed, you can use Produkey from www.nirsoft.net to pull the BIOS key and activate Windows.

Since the system was dropped, a thorough diagnostic and visual inspection would also be a good idea to cover your butt, if you haven't already.
Thanks for the info. Yes, I looked at the motherboard and there seems to be no other damage than that of the HDD.

Quick follow-up question. With a new HDD installed, I would have to install Windows 8 from a disk—correct? Or does BIOS perform factory reset?

Well, after all the time and effort into resolving this issue, my client called Dell and they outbid me for the work. He is sending Dell the laptop for a new HDD, OS install and updates for about $40.00 less than what I was charging—even though I do not mark-up hardware such as hard drives. Of course, operating systems and hard ware Dell no doubt get at incredibly discounted costs than what I get at Microcenter or Newegg.com. I've decided to start charging for locating-diagnosing the problem. Then, if I get the job, subtract the diagnostic fee from the over all cost. Thanks for all your help. If nothing more, it was a great learning experience.

"OS install and updates"
Dell wont do the updates.

Was it still under warranty? Is Dell paying for shipping?

I would have made those points to make the sale.

Back