iMac A1312 Hard Drive Failure

Velvis

Reaction score
It's a mid 2011 model and the client wants to replace the hard drive because he likes the large screen and Apple doesn't sell them anymore.
Can anyone confirm what the latest OS it can run and does it support internet reinstall of the OS or do I need to download a USB image?

It's a mid 2011 model and the client wants to replace the hard drive because he likes the large screen and Apple doesn't sell them anymore.
Can anyone confirm what the latest OS it can run and does it support internet reinstall of the OS or do I need to download a USB image?
What version is it running. 2011 they were still shipping with 10.6. Bios based Internet recovery didn't begin 10.7 So the recovery partition you see, if they did upgrade it to 10.7 or later, is actually a partition on the drive. In theory it should go up to 10.13. If it was me I'd image the old drive to a new SSD rather than mess around trying to install a clean copy.

I'm guessing that's a 17" MacBook Pro. While true that they don't make 17" models anymore, they do make 16".

You should both be aware that a 2011 Mac won't run a supported operating system making the system insecure and could have compatibility problems. One workaround is a project called Open Core Legacy Patcher that allows you to install current macOS on older hardware. I've done it a few times on a couple of machines I plan to sell online. I'm leery about the long term viability of it in terms of future updates to macOS. So proceed with caution.

The latest version of MacOS supported on that 27 inch iMac is High Sierra, which is currently out of support. Worse that it being insecure, you also will quickly run into browsers and other apps no longer working. Your best advise to the client is to replace the system, not to repair it. I have a few other clients with 27" iMacs in the same boat - Apple's response to them is to buy a Mac Studio and the corresponding monitor for about $5000. Unless they are truly high end users, my advice is to point them towards a higher specced Mac Mini and a nice looking large curved monitor, at least until Apple decides to bring back a 27 inch All in One. It will actually be a huge upgrade from their iMac with a spinner or fusion drive.

I just upgraded a 2011 iMac with OCLP and a new SSD, gonna try to sell it online. Also got a 2010 model. I probably wouldn't have bothered buMay t I got the machines for free.

If you decide to move forward you'd need this cable to circumvent the temp sensor that's expected from the hard drive, otherwise your fans will run at 100%.

You can end up with a decent machine with a current OS, but I'm not sure I'd wanna do that for regular customer.

If he goes with a separate computer and monitor you may want to recommend a 4K monitor, which is roughly equivalent to what later iMacs had. That's what I did. Years ago I had a 2009 27" iMac and carried a laptop. Then I got a 4K 27" monitor and a MacBook Pro and just have one computer.

Might also consider a refurbished iMac 27" from Apple, if they're still selling them.

Back