[SOLVED] Computer will not boot after bios changes

Rosco

Reaction score
Good afternoon fellow nibblers. I have a computer on my bench to which I'm having difficulty finding the answer. To start, this is a gaming computer from Cyberpower. The client said their daughter changed some of the BIOS settings to get the game Valorant to work. After some research, it is most like the changed secure boot options. The client's daughter does not remember which settings were changed. Since they have made these changes, nothing shows up on the screen. All the fans turn on, light up, and spin but nothing to the screen. I figured this was an easy BIOS reset, but this has not been the case. The motherboard is a gigabyte b560 ds3h. According to the user manual, I followed the steps and shorted out the jumper on the motherboard with a Flathead screwdriver. From what I could read, this is done with the power off. It seems ridiculous that they did not include a third pin and a jumper to make this easier. But I digress. I have tested the power supply, and everything checks out. I removed the video card and hooked it up just to the motherboard, but still nothing. I have reseated the ram and even switched which slot it goes in. I'm running out of ideas to test without anything on the screen. Does anyone have any ideas on how to undo this mess? Is it possible the motherboard was bricked for some reason? I appreciate all my fellow nibblers' times, and thank you in advance!

Is it possible the motherboard was bricked for some reason?
Maybe, if the owner tried a BIOS update and turned it off in the middle of it!

A reset of the BIOS can also be done by turning off at the PSU or outlet and removing the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes. Could be worth doing in case the other method didn't work.

If still nothing then forget about the BIOS change, do standard troubleshooting for a PC that doesn't POST. Try different RAM, reseat graphics card, try different graphics card or onboard graphics.

Good afternoon fellow nibblers. I have a computer on my bench to which I'm having difficulty finding the answer. To start, this is a gaming computer from Cyberpower. The client said their daughter changed some of the BIOS settings to get the game Valorant to work. After some research, it is most like the changed secure boot options. The client's daughter does not remember which settings were changed. Since they have made these changes, nothing shows up on the screen. All the fans turn on, light up, and spin but nothing to the screen. I figured this was an easy BIOS reset, but this has not been the case. The motherboard is a gigabyte b560 ds3h. According to the user manual, I followed the steps and shorted out the jumper on the motherboard with a Flathead screwdriver. From what I could read, this is done with the power off. It seems ridiculous that they did not include a third pin and a jumper to make this easier. But I digress. I have tested the power supply, and everything checks out. I removed the video card and hooked it up just to the motherboard, but still nothing. I have reseated the ram and even switched which slot it goes in. I'm running out of ideas to test without anything on the screen. Does anyone have any ideas on how to undo this mess? Is it possible the motherboard was bricked for some reason? I appreciate all my fellow nibblers' times, and thank you in advance!
Not about that particular mobo but I had to reseat the CPU in some drastic cases to reset the BIOS. RAM everything else disconnected as well.
Hopefully the computer was not manually restarted during a BIOS update 🤔

The CMOS Jumper should have reset the CMOS on the motherboard? I keep jumpers around for this. Switch system off and remove power cable and short the two pins. Wait a little bit then connect power again and power on. It is the magic cure sometimes, reviving the dead.

I agree but thats what they said.
Just out of curiosity, have you connected it to a separate monitor? If so, is it still black? My thought is that it's overclocking, as well. Maybe pull 1 stick of RAM out and see if that helps. I've done that with a few of them and the displays almost always come back.

Last edited:
To be clear, I am not doubting you in terms of your reporting. I'm doubting the client. And it appears we both have the same doubts for the same reasons.
Totally I get that. Seems unlikely. I might have to flash the bios, but this cheap board doesn't make it easy. So little info in the manual as well. Very frustrating

Back