[REQUEST] Need Part for Front USB Ports

Appletax

Reaction score
Client's CyberPower PC desktop has bad front USB ports. Nothing works in them. When something is plugged into them, BIOS says "USB Device Over Current Status Detected!!" I want to replace these ports. CyberPower told me to contact CoolerMaster about it and they told me that the case is long discontinued so they cannot help me get the part (or with anything else, either).

Case is a CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5.

Pics of the parts:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Where can I get this part? What would you do?

Those motherboard connecters are so flimsy, it is easy to bend pins in those stupid connecters. The problem I find is the USB 3.0 cable strain or stretch or something pushes against it. This causes the pin on the mobo connector to shift or snap altogether, worst design ever!
[in comic book guy voice].

XFs7g.jpg

What happens when you plug these same USB devices in a back USB 3 port? Do you have another USB front header to test with from another case?

What happens when you plug these same USB devices in a back USB 3 port?

Excellent question. If they work just fine, that leads to a follow up: Why not just get a USB3 hub and be done with it?

It's easy enough to plug a hub in to the back port and run it around to the front, affixed to the box if necessary. Far less expense and trouble and is almost certain to fulfil the need. It's at least worth a try.

Back