New+old Unifi setup struggles

HCHTech

Reaction score
I'm working with a new residential customer doing a home remodel who had an existing unifi system consisting of 3 AC-LR APs and one of the outdoor units with the rabbit ears. 2 of the APs are wired with home runs, and the other ones are meshed. We met back in August, where I reviewed what equipment was needed and the client bought it directly from the Unifi store. The existing wired APs were powered with PoE injectors, so as part of the re-do, I suggested a small PoE switch, the USW Lite-8-PoE, since it has 4 PoE+ ports and the 52W budget would work for the suggested final setup.

We're utilizing all existing wiring, including some runs that weren't previously terminated at all, just coiled in boxes at both ends. We're adding 3 new APs, a U6 Pro, an InWall 6, and a U6-Mesh (the toilet paper tube - see, I remembered @YeOldeStonecat!)

Because of the limitations of the wiring, we still have only 3 devices powered by the PoE switch, but one of them is the InWall6 - which has a single PoE+ port OUT. So we have the InWall6 powered by a single PoE line, and want to use the output to power another AP using existing wiring that goes from the InWall location to a new addition.

Yesterday was "put it all together" day, and of course, some problems were discovered.

There is no PoE output on the InWall6 unit, even though it is lit up just fine and reporting to the controller as it should (Hostifi). We solved this by plugging in a PoE Injector on that line out from the InWall6, although I read the specs of the PoE switch and InWall several times and I think it should work.

The switch adopted just fine to the controller, but a few minutes later, even though it was working, it started showing as offline in the controller.

I went ahead and adopted the rest of the new APs and updated their firmwares, then factory reset the old APs and started to adopt them. The Outdoor unit adopted and updated fine, but the AC-LRs were so much trouble - I factory reset them multiple times and power cycled them, but they would never show up on the network, so I couldn't SSH into them to do the adoption. Finally, as a last act before giving up for the day, I power cycled the switch, and one of those LRs immediately popped up ready for adoption - weird. I successfully adopted and updated it, but one more attempt on the final LR was unsuccessful, so I gave up and took it back to the shop to see if I could adopt it there.

This morning on my bench, I setup a little router for the job, and did a factory reset on that LR, it showed up on the network right away and I successfully adopted it to the client's site in the controller. Hmm. This makes me think something is going on with that little PoE switch.

I went back to the clients today, plugged in the final LR and it immediately meshed with the network (it is one that doesn't have a home run in its location).

For the Switch, Everything was working, but I couldn't detect it with an IP scan or ping it at its last known address, so I deleted it from the controller and factory reset it...which did not go well. It would not show up on the network, so I couldn't determine its IP address. Multiple scans with an IP Scanner did not show a device with a matching MAC address. So I think there for sure is something wrong with it. Finally, after power-cycling it a couple of times, it went into TFTP mode - ok, so possibly corrupted firmware. While I was downloading the TFTP client to see if I could overwrite the firmware, the client turned off a breaker as part of some other thing he was working on, and the power was cut. When it came back on, the switch suddenly had an IP address and it was clear it had been factory reset (as I was able to SSH into it with the ubnt/ubnt credentials. I adopted it successfully an then everything seemed to be working. I wasn't confident and told the client as much, but added up my time, got paid and out of there for today at least. I promised to do the tuning of the APs over the weekend and then we will talk again on Monday about next steps.

By the time I got home 30 minutes later, I pulled up the client on my controller and sure enough, the damned switch was reporting offline again. All of the APs were online and I didn't see anything else concerning. I'm pretty confident now that the switch is bad.

I've already ordered a replacement switch - I needed one for stock anyway. When it comes in, I'm going to swap it out and see if that solves the problems. If so, the client can pay me for the new switch and RMA the old one with Unifi on his nickel.

For unifi folks - have you ever run into this behavior? I guess I've been lucky, I've got about 50 clients on my controller now, and a few hundred APs, switches & such, and I've never had trouble like this.

Also - Am I correct or not that the OUTPUT PoE port of the InWall6 should power a U6Pro? The documentation sure seems clear enough that it's PoE+ output as long as it is PoE+ input. This could all come back to a problem with that little PoE switch, too. What a headache. $100 part, $200 in labor to screw around long enough to decide it's bad. At least the client bought the thing, which isn't my normal modus operandi, but that makes him on the hook for the RMA - small favors.

Hmm....I've never tried to power another Unifi device out of an InWall. POE VoIP phones...sure...but another Unifi device.
I believe you'd need to ensure you're powering the IW via "AT"...not "AF".
There's a toggle switch on the InWall settings for "Port VLAN".

I've used the little Lite switches quite a bit but I usually just have them towards the end of things...not higher up in the chain like this one. Is the 8 switch plugged into its AC adapter? Or is it also fed by POE?

I've used the little Lite switches quite a bit but I usually just have them towards the end of things...not higher up in the chain like this one. Is the 8 switch plugged into its AC adapter? Or is it also fed by POE?

No, it's definitely AC powered. I went back out this afternoon so do some more methodical troubleshooting. They have cable internet through a local provider (not Comcast), and I noted that the web interface of the cable gateway wasn't working. It's possible the ISP turned off management access, of course, but somehow I doubt that. After a couple of reboots, I gave up and put in a old Sonicwall I brought with me, just in case, and set it up as the main router. Then, I did a TFTP rewrite of the last firmware BEFORE the latest one. One final reboot and I was able to SSH into it again and do the adoption again. So far, it has stayed online in the controller, so it could have been something with the cable modem, or just a bad firmware write - I don't know. There are a ton of wireless devices on the network, ring cameras, security cameras, Amazon Echos, Sonos units, a whole raft of iPads, iPhones & a few laptops. Maybe the cable modem's DHCP was overwhelmed or scrambled somehow...

I'm going to do a chat with Hostifi on Monday to see if they have any input on the AP powered by the In-Wall setup. If they don't, I'll try to find that out directly from Ubiquiti - I've never tried it before either, so maybe it's just not possible. My fault for reading the specs and saying it could be done - ugh.

I also tried twice unsuccessfully to setup a "this site only" admin user for the client - I know that's possible, but they must have changed how it works or something. I couldn't make that work without the new admin having access to all of the sites on my controller, another question for Hostifi I guess.

I'll try to replicate that setup here in our office.....may not get to it this week since I'm only here M/T and down in FL for a week after that, back mid next week. But I have a few deployments stacked up, heck we have a couple of IW's in our own office I can hang another AP from just to test.

The checkbox for "port vlans" on the IW's should matter..just throwing it out there.

Well, that damned switch is showing offline in the controller again - I think it's toast. All of the APs connected to it are showing online, so hopefully things will continue working until we get the replacement switch in. I read a long thread last night about 3 years old where there was a bad firmware release for those causing similar problems, hopefully it's just a bad unit and not something firmware related. I'll steel myself for more nonsense ahead, I guess!

Well, @mmerry is correct. What I found (I swear I'm not making this up) a month ago when we were doing planning, was something on the InWall that said if you give it PoE+ it will output PoE+. I appreciate this doesn't make sense in hindsight (would break the conservation of energy rule, I'd think since the InWall itself takes a quite a bit of power...13.5W excluding PoE output says the datasheet.

Anyway looking at the datasheets, the real answer is if you give it 802.3at (PoE+), it will output 802.3af ("regular" PoE). That would be enough to power an AC-Lite or an AC-Mesh, but not a U6Pro or U6Mesh. So my bad on that one. We would STILL need the 4-port switch provided by the InWall in that location, though, so I hope the client doesn't want to get rid of the InWall because of this mistake. I don't think he will, but this is a remodel and there are quite a few things going wrong now (not the least of which is a careless backhoe operator "found" some underground utilities!

On the switch, I was able to use the debug console to ssh into it and see that it had lost the inform connection to hostifi (no idea why), so a new set-inform command has got it communicating again. I'll be watching that like a hawk for a while. The switch is way under budget, so it's not being overworked, not sure what to think if it loses the controller connection again but otherwise is working. We'll see.

Safwan @ Hostifi hooked me up with the procedure for creating a "one site only" admin - you have to use the legacy interface (which I had tried), but also you have to create an account "manually" by supplying the username and password you want, rather than using the "Invite" user option. When you do that, regardless of the permissions you assign that user, they get access to all sites. Not exactly intuitive, but far from the most misleading non-intuitive thing in the Unifi console.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot - that local cable operator DOES IN FACT disable the web interface of their gateways. You have to CALL THEM to change anything. Well, that's not exactly tech-friendly. For anyone else in my neck of the woods, it's Armstrong Cable - name and shame. haha.

An update on this situation - when I was onsite last SUNDAY (hopefully they appreciate the extra mile there), I put in an old Sonicwall as a temporary router to take the load off that cable modem that I couldn't troubleshoot or access. That's also when I force-flashed the firmware on the PoE switch, so broke the scientific method there. Anyway, everything has been up and running without a single hiccup since then, the switch is still reporting in to the controller. My money on this one is on that cable modem. Can't prove it, but there you have it. Client is getting a new fiber connection on 11/5, so the modem will be replaced then and I can remove the Sonicwall stand-in.

Back