Surface Pro 3 - No Battery Detected

Rigo

Reaction score
G'day Folks,
Got his Surface Pro 3 with an odd battery issue.
Customer said initially it wouldn't stay on without charger plugged in, i.e. battery not holding.
When she brought it over she was amazed that it did stay on on battery only whilst she was showing me the other issue that had come up as well 'no battery is detected' with a X on the battery icon in the icon tray.
It's got the latest BIOS
I completed the Windows updates
Device Manager looks good
I went ahead and uninstalled Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft Surface ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery components in Device Manager, refreshed to re-install them.
No joy.
All drivers are up-to-date
Powercfg stopped seeing the battery since the 4th of April
Windows mobility centre says there is no battery
I had already tried the power drain things, force shutdown, hold power button as well as power + vol up for about 5 min just for good measure.
Since she left the laptop I've been able to run it unplugged. Strange
Had a look in Settings - System - Battery ~ here it says the battery is 100% o_O!
So it looks like though Windows says no battery, the BIOS can still handle it and charge it in the background, and Windows is just happily using it.
Set it to run one round of Windows memory test unplugged, it completes this and back in Windows, Battery level in System is still 100%.
Changed all power settings to 'Never', turned up screen brightness to Max, I'll let it sit on these for a while to see if anything happens.
Battery is still good from powercfg report, was still charging up to about 80% of Design Capacity according to the last event logged.
Is this a case of some deep issues in Windows a reset might fix? Hesitant in doing something that won't help
Is it a case of a failing battery no longer talking nicely to Windows?
Surface Diagnostics Toolkit doesn't test the battery unfortunately.
Any input very welcome

You didn't say how old the Surface was and to me it sounds like the battery has/is failed. Yes it will report OK to Windows just because of voltage but other issues point to being bad. Hmm... A LiIo battery kept charged or plugged in all the time will usually last many years. A LiIo battery that has been left dead (laptop stored in sleep mode) will most likely be damaged.

Last edited:
No idea how old it would be.
Going by the fact it's a 3, I'd assume probably over 2 years.
Except for some odd fault with the way the battery reported to Windows, it still does hold power as myself I had it running on battery for at least 2 hours + as well as running memtest.
Windows can't see it but can use it🤔

it still does hold power as myself I had it running on battery for at least 2 hours + as well as running memtest.
Ahh - Didn't realize you had it running that long on battery. Sounds like the BMS chip is failing on the battery pack.

Back