LCD that I damaged during SSD upgrade.

Blue House Computer Help

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

While upgrading the hard drive to an SSD on a Mid 2017 iMac (A1418 with Retina Screen), I have somehow managed to damage the LCD. Basically there's one vertical column of red pixels that are dead near the centre of the screen. Blue and green are just fine. I have done many of these upgrades, and I'm sure I was being very careful, but sometimes these things happen to the best of us.

Nothing is obviously physically broken. I changed the 60-pin (LVDS?) cable to the motherboard, but it's still the same problem. It definitely happened on my watch, so I have to take responsibility and fix it, but the cost of the screen is more than I will make from the job.

The screen is like this one on Ebay for £310:
Apple iMac A1418 4K Retina LCD Screen LM215UH1 SDB1 Display Assembly 2017

Is there anything I can do either to 'unstick' the column of dead pixels (Is that even a thing, or am I imagining that?), or does anyone in the UK have, or know somewhere I can find, a fairly inexpensive used replacement screen that I could swap in?

Since it sounds like the damage/defect could also be coincidental it might be worth simply discussing with the client and see if there is a compromise to reduce the overall cost burden to you.

I would recommend reaching out to the Rossman Repair Group... Louis Rossman on Youtube.

They can probably fix it for somewhat less and get it back to you, but I don't know. Ask them.

I would recommend reaching out to the Rossman Repair Group... Louis Rossman on Youtube.

They can probably fix it for somewhat less and get it back to you, but I don't know. Ask them.
LCD's like those are unrepairable. Besides Rossman's in Austin and the OP is on the other side of the Pond.

As painful as it is I'd just proceed with taking of the customer. Tell them there'll be a delay, screen was damaged and you have to order another to replace it. The quicker and more open the communication the better the outcome.

I did something similar, picked up a mac from a client. Was a windy day and I lived on a hill. I opened my car door then the wind pushed the door back onto the panel - smashed. The job was originally a Hard Drive issue, cost me about $1000 in the end as had to replace the panel.

I did something similar, picked up a mac from a client. Was a windy day and I lived on a hill. I opened my car door then the wind pushed the door back onto the panel - smashed. The job was originally a Hard Drive issue, cost me about $1000 in the end as had to replace the panel.
This is why I always had BizCover insurance. It's so easy to drop a laptop or phone; whether it's a clients or your own.
Accidents can and do happen and it was a great feeling knowing that I could replace the unit for just the cost of the excess. ($250)

Back