Can't get to boot menu or bios!

ell

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Medion laptop (Vista) here that is stuck in a "system resuming from hibernation" screen on boot, then it asks for a password, which customer doesn't know ofcourse. I tried starting without the hard drive, reseated the memory, held down the power button 30 secs with no battery or power, can't seem to get to a normal post to access the bios to maybe boot from a vistaPe cd. Any ideas? :confused:

If the system is asking for a password after the resuming from hibernation message then it's not a BIOS password but rather a Windows one. You'll need to get a password changer such as Active password Changer (commercial software) or use an offline registry editor such as this one (open source) - make sure you read and understand the FAQ and explain the potential pitfalls & risks to your customer.

HTH

If the system is asking for a password after the resuming from hibernation message then it's not a BIOS password but rather a Windows one. You'll need to get a password changer such as Active password Changer (commercial software) or use an offline registry editor such as this one (open source) - make sure you read and understand the FAQ and explain the potential pitfalls & risks to your customer.

HTH

thanks so much! I wasn't sure which it was, how would you suggest I get it to start to the boot menu? I need to be able to boot from cd, right now all I get is the "system resuming from hibernation" window, then it asks for password. You think I should put the hard drive in a enclosure and run password recovery tools on it, or do you have a better way to get the notebook to boot normally? I'm thinking maybe if a pulled the cmos battery it may get it to boot normally, but I can't find any info on where its at in a Medion, I don't see it by the ram or HD, not real excited about pulling the keyboard.

You may find that the BIOS has been set to boot from CD by default - insert a bootable CD and see if it works. If not, you'll have to get into the BIOS. Medion PCs/laptops are badged generic units usually sourced from China and your best bet is to inquire on the Medion website for the correct key to get into your system's BIOS as it is likely to vary depending upon the particular model. IIRC the last Medion laptop I worked on used F11 key for the BIOS.

HTH

You may find that the BIOS has been set to boot from CD by default - insert a bootable CD and see if it works. If not, you'll have to get into the BIOS. Medion PCs/laptops are badged generic units usually sourced from China and your best bet is to inquire on the Medion website for the correct key to get into your system's BIOS as it is likely to vary depending upon the particular model. IIRC the last Medion laptop I worked on used F11 key for the BIOS.

HTH

I've tried to boot from cd already, it spins up while resuming system from hibernation comes up, no good, then I get the usual password request. I have to get it out of system resume to get anywhere I think. I've tried all keys at startup, anybody know where the cmos battery is on these? is it burried under the keyboard? I didn't find it on the bottom around the ram or HD. Maybe pulling that for a bit might kick it out of resuming system from hibernate mode? I'll try the medion site for a password, thanks. It does show a phoenix bios if that helps. Its a AMD x64

Clearing the CMOS will not affect the system password, the only way to do it is to edit the registry.

The link I gave earlier should have a link to the system manual that will identify what key(s) you need to access the BIOS and where to find the CMOS battery (if it has a replaceable one - not all laptops do). Also bear in mind that removing the CMOS battery in a laptop doesn't usually alter the BIOS state, it has to be done via the UI.

thanks for all your help, I put the hard drive in a usb adapter and tried the two password programs you suggested- fail. Neither program could find the required system file, XP won't let me access system volume, but it appears to have 98% free space? I found two folders in the recyle bin that were bios utilities. I'm thinking someone messed with this big-time. File management says its a healthy NTFS drive, with 98% free space. I even tried pulling the plug while it was on to try and get it out of this resuming system from hibernation loop, fail. Medion sent me the link to the mobo site, http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1165&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no I still can't get a password

thanks for all your help, I put the hard drive in a usb adapter and tried the two password programs you suggested- fail. Neither program could find the required system file, XP won't let me access system volume, but it appears to have 98% free space? I found two folders in the recyle bin that were bios utilities. I'm thinking someone messed with this big-time. File management says its a healthy NTFS drive, with 98% free space. I even tried pulling the plug while it was on to try and get it out of this resuming system from hibernation loop, fail. Medion sent me the link to the mobo site, http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1165&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no I still can't get a password

What happens if you plug in a formatted HD then boot? Normal boot I would presume?

What happens if you plug in a formatted HD then boot? Normal boot I would presume?

unfortunetly I don't have an extra formatted sata drive, but I found this interesting, if I boot with NO hard drive in it at all it still comes up with the same resuming system from hibernation loop! Shouldn't I be getting a no detect drive warning??? that what makes me think I have to reset the bios somehow, wish I knew where the cmos battery was at in this thing. I just the ok to format her drive, but I don't think it will make a diff.

unfortunetly I don't have an extra formatted sata drive, but I found this interesting, if I boot with NO hard drive in it at all it still comes up with the same resuming system from hibernation loop! Shouldn't I be getting a no detect drive warning??? that what makes me think I have to reset the bios somehow, wish I knew where the cmos battery was at in this thing. I just the ok to format her drive, but I don't think it will make a diff.

Have you unplugged from wall AND removed the main battery? In addition I would try leaving cmos battery out for 5 minutes.

to me it seems as if someone tried flashing the bios and messed it up.

and you should remove ALL power as NWphotog said. maybe that will clear the configurations.

OK, give this a try. Take the hard disk out and put it into a system that you know you can boot from CD from, don't worry if it's a completely different spec to the Medion you're only going to use it to hack the registry. Boot using a CD with a password changer and use that to scan the Medion's registry hive for user passwords and then remove them. Once done replace the HDD back into the Medion and it should reboot without a password.

TBH I'd be more than a little suspicious of a machine that the apparent owner doesn't know the password and where the BIOS might have been hacked. Make sure you cover your back before you get too involved.

In addition I would find out from the owner when the symptoms appeared and now. As IP stated I would be very careful that you aren't helping someone break into someone else's laptop.

Have you unplugged from wall AND removed the main battery? In addition I would try leaving cmos battery out for 5 minutes.

Yes, have done both. My mission is to unplug the cmos battery now, but I have no clue where it is. I can't find a service manual for Medion notebooks anyplace online. Well, after much stress, I managed to get the plastic top cover off without breaking it, but now I'm stuck with the keyboard, I only see one center screw, I removed it but the board is hung up on the right side somehow- is there a trick to this, can you see something from this pic what i'm missing?

Attachments

• CIMG1004.jpg
    CIMG1004.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 82
OK, give this a try. Take the hard disk out and put it into a system that you know you can boot from CD from, don't worry if it's a completely different spec to the Medion you're only going to use it to hack the registry. Boot using a CD with a password changer and use that to scan the Medion's registry hive for user passwords and then remove them. Once done replace the HDD back into the Medion and it should reboot without a password.

TBH I'd be more than a little suspicious of a machine that the apparent owner doesn't know the password and where the BIOS might have been hacked. Make sure you cover your back before you get too involved.

Yes, I got suspicious right away, I've never had this happen before, I thought she just needed her user password reset! Especially when I plugged the HD into my desktop and found nothing but ami bios files in the recycle bin. She claims her son gave it to her, I had her come over and sign a release form today! She doesn't seems to care what I do to fix it, so I'm open for all options. I'm thinking it has to be the bios if NO hard drive in it at all doesn't change the resuming system from hibernation loop.
I

I tried that, kinda strange result. It did show as a drive with 68gb, 67.8 free?! , theres just two folders, recycle bin and system folder- then when I tried the open that I was denied permission. The password programs could find the correct directory on the drive. I ran virus scan too, clean- I don't think theres even anything on it.

Yeah this completely sounds like a BIOS update gone wrong.

The motherboard might have some jumpers to reset the BIOS, if you can't find the battery..

Otherwise, I think your customer is out of luck. Might be easiest to just buy a replacement board off ebay or something.

Actually I found some information here.. If you can find out the make and model of the motherboard. Apparently MSI has a Bios recovery feature that might work for ya.

BIOS Recovery Feature

For AMI BIOS
1. Rename the desired AMI BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM and save it on a floppy disk. e.g. Rename A569MS23.ROM to AMIBOOT.ROM
2. Insert this floppy disk in the floppy drive. Turn On the system and press and hold Ctrl-Home to force update. It will read the AMIBOOT.ROM file and recover the BIOS from the A drive.
3. When 4 beeps are heard you may remove the floppy disk and restart the computer.

Hope that helps.

Yeah this completely sounds like a BIOS update gone wrong.

The motherboard might have some jumpers to reset the BIOS, if you can't find the battery..

Otherwise, I think your customer is out of luck. Might be easiest to just buy a replacement board off ebay or something.

I agree, I think some kid really hosed this, too bad its a decent machine, amd 64x dual. This is a real challenge for me, I'm used to just doing virus removal, reinstalls and simple upgrades- I've only pulled a cmos battery in a HP notebook and that was easy, this Medion brand is just about impossible to find any info, support won't help, so how do I reset jumpers on the mobo? Guess I'll have to do some homework on that!

Actually I found some information here.. If you can find out the make and model of the motherboard. Apparently MSI has a Bios recovery feature that might work for ya.

BIOS Recovery Feature

For AMI BIOS
1. Rename the desired AMI BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM and save it on a floppy disk. e.g. Rename A569MS23.ROM to AMIBOOT.ROM
2. Insert this floppy disk in the floppy drive. Turn On the system and press and hold Ctrl-Home to force update. It will read the AMIBOOT.ROM file and recover the BIOS from the A drive.
3. When 4 beeps are heard you may remove the floppy disk and restart the computer.

Hope that helps.

would be nice if I had an option to boot to anything!-I would have finished this hours ago. There is no floppy drive, heres the unit http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4010485&CatId=1900 all it will do is start at a screen that says resuming system from hibernation then asks for a password. Thats why I have to try and reset the bios.

Back