Asus AiO can't boot from external devices

timeshifter

Reaction score
Asus AiO V230IC with replaced motherboard. Can't boot from USB.

Background, customer opted not to fix this machine when it's motherboard died a couple of years ago. Been sitting around in my junk pile. Recently I found a matching motherboard on eBay and installed it last night. Machine fired right up. Booted the customer's install of Windows, everything looks mostly fine, except I can't sign in to their install and no one knows the password.

No problem, I'll boot one of my handy password fixers. And I'll need to boot a Windows installer probably at some point.

So far I've tried booting multiple ISOs from my iODD and one Windows USB installer created with the Media Creation Tool. That USB drive shows up as a boot option on my personal desktop PC that uses a newer Asus motherboard:

Works on my Asus desktop for comparison
asusboot1.png

But on this Asus AiO I can't find the right combination of settings, and I've tried most that I can think of like Secure Boot on and off and CSM. No matter what I do the second option always shows up as "Disabled".

Problem on AiO system
asusboot2.png

asusboot3.png

asusboot4.png

asusboot5.png

I suspect booting from an external drive is somehow / somewhere blocked. I've tried resetting to defaults too. I'm tempted to do a BIOS update but don't want to dig a deeper hole.

Any ideas?

FINALLY, figured it out. In the BIOS menus under Advanced, I chose "Other OS" instead of "Windows UEFI Only".

Back