AVG Removal Tool

georgenoise

Reaction score
Does anyone have a trick to remove AVG silently. I've read through everything I can find and everything I've read doesn't seem to work. I have a little over 100 workstations to remove it from and so far all i can seem to get to work is by hand with the removal tool. If anyone feels like being a life saver today please chime in. Thanks.

God, I f-cking hate AVG, especially when people install AVG free and ALL the extras that you can turn on or install with it.

I got a machine here right now, XP Sp3, it has Norton Security, McAfee, AVG 2013 and Trusteer Rapport installed. :mad:

But AVG is the thing that's killing this machine, so its coming out first and then the rest. Seems after uninstalling, it has a habit of breaking things so I imagine there will be some additional fixes just for removing it. :mad:

Uprighttech - The only one of those I hadn't seen was the /deletedirforcehard switch and using it for some reason causes the tool to crash. Thanks for the tip though.

NYJimbo - I've been fighting off and on all day to get it removed silently so I don't have to hear all the users complain that there is a box popping up or that the machine is rebooting. Normally I would let out MSP software handle it but some of the machines were installed with the avg firewall on them too so it blocks the initial agent from communicating out to allow the new AV to remove AVG and still in some cases it has problems. What a PITA! I even tried PSExec but the first problem I ran into was that during uninstall AVG breaks the network connection and restores it but it's just enough to boot your session.

Uprighttech - The only one of those I hadn't seen was the /deletedirforcehard switch and using it for some reason causes the tool to crash. Thanks for the tip though.

NYJimbo - I've been fighting off and on all day to get it removed silently so I don't have to hear all the users complain that there is a box popping up or that the machine is rebooting. Normally I would let out MSP software handle it but some of the machines were installed with the avg firewall on them too so it blocks the initial agent from communicating out to allow the new AV to remove AVG and still in some cases it has problems. What a PITA! I even tried PSExec but the first problem I ran into was that during uninstall AVG breaks the network connection and restores it but it's just enough to boot your session.
What happens if you run the utility without the deletedirforcehard switch? My suggestions would have been to use an RMM script or psexec, but you should be able to do it in a GPO logon script. Have you tried that?

FYI... you can run the removal tool on the command line with the /? switch to see all of the available parameters.

What happens if you run the utility without the deletedirforcehard switch? My suggestions would have been to use an RMM script or psexec, but you should be able to do it in a GPO logon script. Have you tried that?

FYI... you can run the removal tool on the command line with the /? switch to see all of the available parameters.
I tried the /? switch with no luck. It will complete without the deletedirforcehard switch.

I tried the /? switch with no luck. It will complete without the deletedirforcehard switch.
That's strange. I downloaded the x64 version from the link that I posted and the /? switch worked fine on my system. Here is the output I got from it...

AvgRemover 2013.1.10

2015-10-26 22:14:20,481 INFO SystemChecking started.
2015-10-26 22:14:20,482 INFO Command line: removeavg /?
avgremover?.exe [/avgdir=<path>] [/avgdatadir=<path>] [/norestart] [/skipask]
[/silent] [/datafile=<path>]
parameters info:
/avgdir - path to AVG binaries, eg. "c:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012". By default
is used value of HKLM\SOFTWARE\Avg\Avg\AvgDir from registry.
/avgdatadir - path to AVG app data, eg. "c:\ProgramData\AVG2012". By default
is used value of HKLM\SOFTWARE\Avg\Avg\AvgAllUsersDir from registry.
/norestart - disable automatic restart of computer.
/skipask - skip ask dialog for do all actions.
/silent - work like /skipask, and all errors are only on console, no dialog.
/deletedirforcehard - all directory, which have to be deleted by force (with
files inside) are deleted with whole directory tree(dangerous, it delete all
user directoris in AVG directories).
/whitelist - path to process killer white list file.
/help, /h, /? - this help.​

Back