Cell Phone Automation

HCHTech

Reaction score
As someone who is in and out of the office a lot, I depend on my cell phone for many critical business actions. Is anybody successfully automating cell phone-based actions with a tool they like?

Here are some things I'd like to do, for example:
  • When [Particular SSID] is detected (but not necessarily connected), switch automatically to wifi calling (because the cell signal at my shop is terrible). This doesn't work because I have multiple SSIDs that I connect to here, so I can't base the automation on connecting to any particular SSID.
  • Then the opposite: When [Particular SSID] is no longer detected, turn off Wifi calling and disable wifi. This doesn't work because the apps only want to use connection or disconnection to an SSID as a trigger.
I've also tried detecting when I'm in the car as a trigger, but the triggers around bluetooth seem only half thought through.

Then, I'd like to have my cell calls forwarded to my desk phone when I'm sitting at my desk. Because I don't connect to a particular SSID reliably, I can't use that as a trigger. I do use the Phone Link app on my computer, though, so I could do these:
  • When [Phone Link to PC] is connected, forward all calls to xxx-xxx-xxxx (really = "Make a phone call to *72 xxx-xxx-xxxx")
  • When [Phone Link to PC] disconnects, cancel forwarding (again, really = "Make a phone call to *73")
except that there doesn't seem to be a way to make the Phone Link connection a trigger. Maybe it's too new of a thing. Also, the apps don't seem to have much ability to make outgoing calls - a strange limitation. These are just a few examples of tasks I do manually every. single. day. and I'd love to automate them somehow.

It seems like almost any of the automations I want require a trigger that doesn't exist in the app or the app requires a trigger that doesn't exist in my environment.

I have subscribed to and tried using IFTTT, but it is clunky and slow and missing some very obvious triggers as well as missing some very obvious available actions. I've also looked at Automate and MacroDroid, but I need to spend more time there to confirm if they just can't do these things, or I'm just missing something.

Is there another player in this space for Android? Is anyone doing anything similar and willing to provide some tips?

Have you looked at Macrodroid or Tasker? Macrodroid includes WiFi SSID Transition and WiFi State Change among the connectivity triggers.

As an aside, does your phone not have the option for Voice over WiFi? (You often have to enable this via a dial code, as many manufacturers will not have it enabled, or even visible by default). If you do, and turn it on, WiFi calling is generally always preferred if you are connected to WiFi.

Back