[SOLVED] APC Smart-UPS 3000 RM: The battery power is too low to support the load

Moltuae

Rest In Peace
Reaction score
Just started receiving these alerts from a customer's UPS: "The battery power is too low to support the load; if power fails, the UPS will be shut down immediately."

Logging into the UPS, I'm seeing contradictory information; the battery is discharged yet at 100% capacity.

Is this likely to be a battery failure?

(batteries are probably about 2 years old).

fJGa3Lu.png

Problem solved.

The error was misleading. Turns out it was loading issue.

Load normally sits around 50% on this particular UPS. Someone plugged some new equipment into the rack earlier (without informing me), which is what increased the load to the 75% seen in the screenshot. For some reason that generated a discharged battery error o_O

That's odd. I work with APC units quite a bit and they tend to do some weird stuff under certain circumstances. If it were me I'd follow up with them to see if they can give an explanation.

I might do that. It does concern me a little that it may be a sign of an issue with the unit.

It is due to be replaced soon though; it's a good few years old now. I might suggest we bring that forward and replace it sooner rather than later.

Check these links out. It seems like a common issue back then. The clinks are old and might not apply to newer products but it's worth a try and/or a call to APC tech support.

http://git.net/ml/sysutils.apcupsd.user/2005-02/msg00049.html

Great info. Thanks.

I might try that, but perhaps on the bench after it's been replaced. The equipment it's protecting right now is very mission-critical. I think I'm going to swap it out with a new one, then I'll get the old one on the bench and take a look at it. I'll probably refurbish it and try those recalibration/test procedures then. If it works well after that, I'll re-install it in a less critical role.

Back