UPS battery replacement problem - strange issue with APC unit.

tankman1989

Reaction score
I have a 900watt 1500VA APC that has 2 very small 8AH batteries. I also have a a 2200 watt/3000VA APS smart-backup that takes 4 20AH batteries of which two were dead and the other two seemed fine, they stay charged at 12.91 & 13.05v. I looked at how my APC unit was connected and saw it was in series w/ no fuse, so no biggie, it just needs 24v's of batteries. So I took the two good batteries, charged them to make sure they were topped off and when i swapped it out the battery went from showing a 100% full status and health to a no battery sign and no emergency power. What the heck could this be?

I took a voltage reading of the smaller batteries and got 26.3, which comes out to 13.15v, not too far off crom what I had.

I did a similar experiement with my 2200watt unit (runs on 48 volt, 4 20AH 12v batteries) and I tried four sets (each set had 3 7AH 12v batteries - only one AH above what is factory) of batteries in parallel, fused in appropriate places (Psame as factory) and I had no love with this either. All the batteries were at 12.8v each as well.

I've pulled these units when they are putting out 12.2-3v and still running.

Anyone know what's up here and how to resolve it?

I've looked online and I see people saying that regular car batteries work, so IDK if this voltage just isn't high enough or what.

Ideas?

Back