After N&P, Laptop is Slow to Load & Keyboard Replacement Issues

Appletax

Reaction score
I had to do a N&P on a laptop (details) and it is still having issues. Also, I had to replace the keyboard because the keys no longer worked properly (e.g. press a and it turns on caps-lock).

New issues:
- Slow to load
- New keyboard's space key not working right and is slow to type

The HDD's SMART status is good, but we all know that it is not a guarantee of the HDD's health.

I don't think there's an issue with the RAM since the system runs perfect otherwise; there's no weird glitchy issues and no blue screens.

Maybe the mobo is having problems?

It's an HP dv7 with core i7, 8 GB RAM, and nVidia 200 series GPU

If you've got a known working drive, I'd consider trying that. Also, did you load all chipset drivers etc?

If you've got a known working drive, I'd consider trying that. Also, did you load all chipset drivers etc?

Full tune up with all drivers.

How does it run on a live CD like Mint or Ubuntu etc?

I upgraded the hard drives in his two MacBook Pros and he is going to pick them up tomorrow so I will test out the live CDs. That's a good idea for potentially ruling out the HD.

For HDD, I would look at CrystalDiskInfo. I would also run memtest.

Check the BIOS and Chipset. The Drivers built into the HDD or Recovery Disk is probably out of date.

For HDD, I would look at CrystalDiskInfo. I would also run memtest.

Check the BIOS and Chipset. The Drivers built into the HDD or Recovery Disk is probably out of date.

Wow, still working on this one, its been a full month. :confused:

You should have walked away when it started looking like a no win situation.

I use Crystal, too, but it says its perfect. I updated every driver possible using the latest available from the manufacturer as well as the latest nVidia drivers.

The keyboard's space key requires extra pressure to type. I figure that the keyboard might be faulty. He doesn't want to bother with it anymore. He's just going to use it as a backup. He just bought a 3rd MacBook Pro so he is all set for computers lol.

Also, I tried booting into my SARDU CD and it would not load. His ODD makes a funny sound so I think it's gone to heck.

The boot time was not horrible. It took maybe 1 minute to load.

The computer just has too many issues to put anymore money into it. I suggested that he sells it now so he can get the most money for it rather than wait for a new major problem to crop up.

He gave me his 250 GB HDD that was leftover after upgrading his MacBooks' HDDs as a tip :)

Could it be overheating?
Have you checked the capacitors (I know this requires a strip down etc)
Anything in the event logs?

Usually if a PC is slow for no reason it is the hard drive, even if it passes all tests and SMART etc.

I thought this was resolved? Are you trying to get it a stable factory build to resell?

Also, are the insides clean? Perhaps the CPU is getting too hot, then has to throttle. Check for debris or other stuff.

Anything crazy on the task manager? Is the W7 build naked (removed startup programs / applications)

Are you still working on it? I thought he didn't want to put money into it. It sounds like there could be liquid damage based on the old keyboard shorting out. I wouldn't advise him selling it to anyone who isn't interest in fixing it, it seems kind of dishonest since he took it to a technician who found issues but couldn't come up with a quote. If you want more help troubleshooting, you will have to let us know what all you have done now.

Did you try another drive? Live disc? Swapped RAM/memtest? Disconnected the keyboard? Opened it up to look for liquid damage/bad caps, disconnected everything you could and then checked how it ran?

Back