[SOLVED] Slow BIOS Load Times

Appletax

Reaction score
Edit: it's working, but if the issue comes back, it will need a replacement mobo.

Customer purchased a used Dell Latitude E7440 laptop from me several weeks ago. It worked perfect when he got it (fresh installation of Windows 10).

Issues:

* Error message: "partition table invalid, no boot device found." It has an M.2 SSD.

* Extremely slow BIOS load times (from push of start button to Dell logo it stays on a black screen for approx 25 seconds - used to be near instant).

* BIOS settings were changed, but not by the customer. Changed them back and Windows would enter an endless reboot cycle.

Tried:

* Changed CMOS battery. Set CMOS to default and re-entered settings. Tried to upgrade the BIOS firmware but it just reboots the computer and does not update, whether using the BIOS Flash Update program or when running the BIOS upgrade program in Windows.

* Backed up data and reinstalled Windows 10. Takes much longer than normal to load, but when loaded it works great. Shuts down fast. SSD benchmarks are fast. No SMART status issues.

* Changed the BIOS Fastboot setting from thorough to minimal. Made no difference.

* Ran thorough hardware diagnostics using the built-in ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment. No issues found. All tests passed. It tests a lot of stuff.

* Swapped out the RAM and the power charger. Removed the battery and disconnected the SSD. BIOS always slow.

I have sold quite a few of these computers all setup the same in the BIOS and in Windows and this is the only one to have this issue.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue a while back. It ended up being caused by mis-matched RAM. One stick had chips on only one side while the other stick had chips on both sides. They otherwise matched up perfectly (speed, CAS latency, etc). I would try with only one stick of RAM and try one slot at a time. Memory issues can cause slow POST times in Dell Latitude's.

I would also recommend running it with a SATA SSD to see if there's something wrong with the m.2 slot on the motherboard.

The last thing I'd do is check for water damage underneath the keyboard. It's possible the customer spilled something on it and has neglected to tell you in the hopes of getting a free repair.

I had a similar issue a while back. It ended up being caused by mis-matched RAM. One stick had chips on only one side while the other stick had chips on both sides. They otherwise matched up perfectly (speed, CAS latency, etc). I would try with only one stick of RAM and try one slot at a time. Memory issues can cause slow POST times in Dell Latitude's.

I would also recommend running it with a SATA SSD to see if there's something wrong with the m.2 slot on the motherboard.

The last thing I'd do is check for water damage underneath the keyboard. It's possible the customer spilled something on it and has neglected to tell you in the hopes of getting a free repair.

He said he tried it without the M2.

It's been over a week since he got the laptop back. Has not reported any issues. Says it works great. Hopefully it stays that way otherwise gonna need to replace the mobo.

Back