ADWcleaner crashes on clean operation

jzukerman

Reaction score
I've run ADWCleaner on two different computers at two different clients today and both crashed about halfway to 3/4ths of the way through cleaning (looks like on a Chrome cleanup part, Aut2EXE has stopped responding). Both PCs had Windows 7, one had Chrome installed while the other just IE. I went to BleepingComputer to grab the EXE file. Ran in normal mode on both PCs. Both PCs had the typical PUPs (wajaa, etc) installed. I went through and removed them from Programs and Features control panel first, before running tools. Ran MBAM before on 1 PC and after on 1 PC. Both PCs the domain user accounts were local computer admins (yes I know that's bad, but it is what it is).

Anyone else experienced this issue? I haven't run ADWCleaner in a couple of weeks. Maybe new version has some malfunctioning code?

Last edited:
I've had this happen before. Ended up having to run a different cleaning utility first. It was the browser stuff in Firefox that was crashing it for me.

We've had the issue as well since the release of the new version. We are discontinuing it's use until the issue is resolved. We've used in a multiple configurations of use such as before JRT, after, even MBAM and others. It appears to be an issue with the program itself. It happens.

I just ran V3.304 on a win 7 H Prem, 64 bit, on a HP desktop without issue.

For future reference, in case anyone is curious, you can simply uncheck the items subsequent to the crash point in most cases (i.e., the Firefox items only) and then rerun again, and it will normally complete.

Back